1999 4.0 XLT Cold start, runs a few min. then stalls. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 4.0 XLT Cold start, runs a few min. then stalls.

Daniel Kaiser

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside Califorina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4.0 OHC
Runs fine for 2-3 min. settles down to normal idle runs fine about a min. then idle increases and stalls out.

Fails to restart. wait an hour or so it then starts with same results.

No, check engine light

Replaced filter and fuel pump last year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I can think of is the temperature sensor.

And the obligatory vacuum leaks.

The only thing I can think of is the temperature sensor.

And the obligatory vacuum leaks.

Wouldn't both of these bring up the Check Engine light? and would an OBD reader help with this? I have a reader coming Monday not sure if I'm just wasting time with that.

Wouldn't both of these bring up the Check Engine light? and would an OBD reader help with this? I have a reader coming Monday not sure if I'm just wasting time with that.

Don't know.

and

A code reader's always good to have around.

Bad temp sensor won't generate an OBD code, as computer has no way of knowing it's bad. Most current OBD readers will let you look at some live data; this usually includes engine temp as reported by that temp sensor. You can run the engine until it's hot and see what temp that sensor is reporting. Good luck.

Well, torque did show an error code of a small leak in the emissions system, but more importantly it showed once the engine had warmed up and then stalled, a temp of 20°f but the gauge on the dash reports what I believe is the normal temp. I know the thermostat housing has 2 sensors, is one for the dash and the other for the computer?

Yes, the one for the PCM is on the driver's side. The passenger side
sensor is for the temp gauge. Sounds like the PCM sensor is at fault.
They're not very expensive. Good luck and let us know if that fixes
it.

EDIT: Oops! I read you have the OHC and I'm describing the OHV
engine, so the SOHC engine sensor locations might be different...???

It's alive!!!!!

Replaced thermostat, housing, and both sensors, just to make sure, the truck seems to be running a little hotter than before. Torque is showing no error codes but having problems with it accessing fuel pressure and levels.

Thanks to all for the help.

Be seeing you.
Danny

Back