• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer - Average Value???

axlrose

Reaction score
City, State
Blackpool Lancashire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4Ltr
Hi Everyone; Aven;t been on since February cause I had to Sell my Explorer thanks to the DVLA who suspended me from driving for 6 mths due to a new medication my hospital put me on for my spine problem. side effects were so bad couldn't drive & couldn't afford to keep the Explorer for 6 mths idle so had to sell it.

Anyway get my licence back next month so I am looking for anotha Explorer. Saw a 1999 T reg on Ebay for sale for £800 o.n.o. Got low milage @52000 I'm very tempted & did put a bid in for £550 which was declined.
The thing that is holding me back is the seller says it needs a new timing chain which OK would only cost @£100 to buy n fit; but its MoT expired end of July so if I bought it wud ave to put it through 4 MoT. OK it may go thru no probs put cud also cost more.

The time on Ebay expires on Fri 11pm & due to work I cant get to see it till Sat pm so bit stumped. Im prepared to offer £650 tops but just wonderin wot otha people reckon it worth without an Mot.

B grateful if u good giv me ur opinions ASAP.

Thanx

If the timing chain is gone, chances are the tensioner failed and killed the engine. If that's the case, you'll need an engine, not just a timing chain...

Does seller claim it runs? Plugging a "fair" condition 3rd party Explorer into Kelly Bluebook for the US comes up with ~$3800 value, converted is about £2400... 800 seems way too low, I also suspect the engine is shot else it would've been listed at a higher price.

Back