• Register Today It's free!

2.3 Ecoboost 0 Compression

PaseoPapii

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
I have a 2017 Limited with the 2.3 eco. I dropped it off at a shop to have the transmission rebuilt and when they went to test drive it, it shut off and has not started since. I got it towed home because they would not look into it. I did a compression test on #1 and #2 cylinder and got 0 psi. It is building a lot of pressure up in the intake when I cover it with my hand. This leads me to believe it is a timing issue but I have not had a chance to check the timing marks yet. I’m wondering if the vvt on the intake side is way off or something because the engine sounds okay there is no grinding or any kind of metallic noise. Has anyone ran into any similar issues?

Sounds like a cam chain issue. Pull the valve cover and see if the valves are moving while it turns over. Cant recall if these are interference engines, if so and piston hit the valves, Not a pretty situation

Sounds like a cam chain issue. Pull the valve cover and see if the valves are moving while it turns over. Cant recall if these are interference engines, if so and piston hit the valves, Not a pretty situation
I looked through the oil fill and confirmed that the intake cam is turning. I’m going to pull the valve cover off and see what I can find this weekend.

From what I've found, it's a non-interference engine.

Peter

Back