2000 XLT 4.0 Running real rough.

ganixle

Reaction score
City, State
Florala, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi Folks

Newbie here with the mechanical ability of a Neanderthal. Just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer 4.0 with 105,800 miles on it. The thing ran a little rough but was getting 20+ on the highway with a miss from time to time that threw the "check engine" light on. Fell for the hype on supposed high end products and replaced what look like original spark plugs with E3's, new wire set, oil change. Took off to enjoy my newly serviced vehicle and the thing runs rough and misses, also difficult to accelerate. Looked under the hood at night and could see no blue fire. Checked the ignition coil and have got hot blue flame on 5 positions and a weak yellow one on the remaining one. Check engine light is on. Is it possible the ignition coil is failing and maybe even quicker now with the change in resistance from the new wires and plugs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alrighty then....just swapped out ignition coil assembly and going for a test drive.....I wish all maintenance on vehicles were this easy.

Back from test run....still running crappy, though not as bad. How is it that I try to do what's best for my baby and she kicks me in the teeth?

Is it a 4.0L ohv? Double ck that you have cylinder 5 and 6 on the coil properly. People think they all go in order but 5 and 6 are swapped at the coil.

Done that, positioned okay. Found 1 plug wire loose, bought the grease and greased and re-seated all plug wires. Test drive much smoother but still cutting out and the check engine light did something really weird, it came on and then flashed 4-5 times and turned off. HELP!

Flashing engine light is an indication of misfire. Any codes?

Just got back from advance auto parts...they ran a code of #3 cylinder misfire. Had the same code earlier today before changing out the ignition coil assembly. Waiting on the thing to cool down and will take a look at it to see if I might have a loose wire or maybe even pull the spark plug to see if it is screwed up.

You could have cracked the plug on install.

Dis is a 9--1---1

Pulling my hair out now....Seafoamed through the brake boost vaccum line on a suggestion it might be carbon build up in #3 cylinder and got lots of smoke, then ran it until clean. Still missing and jerking.

Pulled plug and went over it with a jewelers lupe and could not find a crack anywhere. Thought I would have my daughter fire up the car while the plug was out and in the plug wire, saw sparks but not what I would have expected from this E3 wonderplug. The threads and plug were wet with fuel when I pulled it, cleaned it off, put all back together and ran the heck out of it and still it knocks and misses. Didn't get the check engine light this time but it is running as rough as before.

1. How about a replacement set of fuel injectors all flow calibrated or whatever they call that?

2. Is it possible that some of the new parts, plugs, wires, ignition coil assy are bad right from the store?

3.. How about full coverage insurance and an accidental electrical fire?

4. Public transportation?

Any suggestions....H...E....L....P....going to bed now and hope to find an answer or solution on the morrow!

You could try swapping the plug and wire with another cylinder to see if the miss follows that cylinder. Since you say the spark color is different i would say it is something in ignition system not fuel system.

Special thanks to SWETRID as I sip a celebratory cup of coffee and wish I had a cigar to go with it. Took the brand new out of the box defective E3 spark plug back and had it replaced. Installed the new one, plug wires on.....all systems go and off we went for the road test. Accelarated right up to 55, smooth as silk and then on up through to 75 before chickening out due to need to replace upper and lower ball joints tomorrow as well as Florida State's own finest liking to sit and wait along this road for those who are wont to exceed the established limitations as it applies to the private citizen and vehicle velocity......WOW! I am exceedingly grateful for the advice and timely responses to my dilema. This was really starting to get to the point of "full coverage vehicle replacement" type insurance and doing a fuel leak check with a lit candle.

Special thanks to SWETRID as I sip a celebratory cup of coffee and wish I had a cigar to go with it. Took the brand new out of the box defective E3 spark plug back and had it replaced. Installed the new one, plug wires on.....all systems go and off we went for the road test. Accelarated right up to 55, smooth as silk and then on up through to 75 before chickening out due to need to replace upper and lower ball joints tomorrow as well as Florida State's own finest liking to sit and wait along this road for those who are wont to exceed the established limitations as it applies to the private citizen and vehicle velocity......WOW! I am exceedingly grateful for the advice and timely responses to my dilema. This was really starting to get to the point of "full coverage vehicle replacement" type insurance and doing a fuel leak check with a lit candle.

Glad I could help!

Back