2001 Sport trac bad chain chain guides...Suprise lol | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport trac bad chain chain guides...Suprise lol

j-n-v

Reaction score
City, State
Grande Prairie
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
So just picked up a 2001 Sport trac with the 4.0l SOHC and guess what bother front and rear guides are shot. So ive heard of guys swapping engines in front other trucks and I found a 2011 ranger witht the 4.0l SOHC and only 92000km on it and was wondering as long as I swap the intake and sensors into the new engine from the old do they work, from what I can tell the only update and changes were to the tensioners. So is this true I looked and looked here trying to find ones andyone who may have used a newer engine like this. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, just keep the old one. Strip the new one, swap the parts and drop it in. Vola! Drop the old one off at the recyclers on your way out to put a few cents back in your pocket.

well got the engine and man doing the walk around on it and it looks like a lot of parts that were being said that were different. IE valve covers, oil pan, throttle body are all the same even the exhaust manifolds. so I was wondering if maybe the difference that people were talking about were on the mustang v6 only?

I think it'd be cool to swap all the new ranger stuff over - engine, computer, dash, steering wheel, etc. You'd get an updated interior out of it plus a low mileage engine.

Yeh would be a neat idea but I need the truck quick. and there is an actual computer difference?

With that big of a year gap I would think there's some but I'm no expert on engines.

It would be a pain to swap the computer over and it's not worth it anyway. The oil pan, timing cover, water pump and drivers side valve cover should swap right into the sport trac. The exhaust manifolds, accessory brackets, wiring harness, fuel rails etc will have to be swapped for the sport trac parts.

You may find the main things that will be different are wiring plugs/connections. The long block should be same and any peripheral parts/accessories that are the same are a bonus. Check the RockAuto parts catalog for part numbers on sensors to see what's different.

we were looking at the exhaust manifolds look to be exactly the same

Back