2002 driver window stuck down, EASY fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 driver window stuck down, EASY fix

DaddyBob54

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Mine is a 2002 Mountaineer. I can't imagine that there's anything different to the power window system on an Explorer or Sport Trac.

Rolled my windows down 2 days ago because of the heat. Thunderstorm came up. Three windows went up but the driver's window would not go up no matter what I did. Fortunately I had a 3' by 4' sheet of roofing rubber. Opened the door, threw it over the door and then shut the door. No problem. But it's been the devil to work on it because of continued thunderstorms and my garage is full.

So I used that time to search every post here about this problem. Learned a lot! Got the interior trim off (THANKS TO BIGRONDO!). Checked resistance and continuity on switches. Didn't seem to be a problem there. Tried to pull the window up while pressing the switch. Nothing. Tried everything here and on YouTube about beating on the switch or slamming the door. Nothing. Pulled back the rubber boot between door and body. Found the fabled black wire and found that a repair had been made. The previous owner did everything at the dealership, no other mechanics involved and no DIY. The repair was top rate and gel-filled connectors were used. Shook the wire. Nothing.

We still have a small helpful one owner car parts store in this town. He ordered a regulator assembly but assured me it was no problem to send it back if I didn't need it. I was there this morning and we talked about it at length. He's a Ford guy and he's had a lot of this problem with other Fords. He made several suggestions. Finally something clicked for me. I left the part there and went back home.

Cranked up the car and started down the road with the switch in my hand making every effort to hit every bump in the road. It took about a mile before the window made an effort. Next bump in the road made more progress. Next bump in the road and the window went all the way up.

My conclusion is that so far there is nothing wrong with the regulator. My conclusion is that all of the electrical contacts need to be taken apart, sprayed with electronic cleaner, sprayed with good silicone, and then reassemble everything.

The part will be returned. The cleaner and the silicone spray cost a grand total of about $6.50.

Back