2002 Sport Trac Door Lock Relay location? Or help with my problem.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac Door Lock Relay location? Or help with my problem..

Buickgsman

Reaction score
City, State
Central CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
Hi all, first time poster here. I'm helping an elderly friend repair his 2002 Sport Trac and we are having an issue with the driver door lock actuator. All other locks work except for the driver door. We replaced the actuator on the driver door, but it still wont work. I've read that there is a relay specifically for the driver door somewhere, but have no idea where. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the location of the door lock relays?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TTT, any help? need some informed opinions on my issue. The owners manual doesn't list anything, and I don't have a service manual.. any help is appreciated. thanks!

Outside door handle return spring broke or missing. Handle must be closed for lock to work properly. There is a thread on the board for the door spring repair.

What doesn't "work" for your drivers door lock? Any sound when attempting to lock or unlock the drivers door? Two other common mechanical failure points are a small broken spring inside the LATCH, or broken lock rod attachment clips. Another possibility could be a broken wire(s) near the door hinge if you don't hear sound coming from the drivers door. Need details.

I don't think it is the outside handle return spring, that seems to work fine. There is no sound anywhere when he driver door lock button is pushed. All other locks work perfectly. Where exactly would I look for the broken wire? At the pivot? Is there an easy way to get into the black pivot contraption without having to take the door off?

Take the door off. It's really easy to do. I don't see how anyone could check the wiring with the door still in place. Just not enough room there.

Does the wiring unplug from inside the truck or do I need to snake the entire door wiring harness out of that pivot assembly as the door comes off?

Does the wiring unplug from inside the truck or do I need to snake the entire door wiring harness out of that pivot assembly as the door comes off?

On top of the barrel connector is a 10 MM bolt (it may have a plastic cap over it). As you unscrew the bolt the connector will come apart. It's a big plug. Then just four 13 mm bolts on the door and it's off.

Next cut the wire-tie thingy off the rubber boot at the connector and you can pull it back to examine the wires.

When you reinstall the door there is almost no adjustment possible at the 4 mounting bolts, so aligning it is not a problem.

awesome, thank you! i will report back

3E8508B2-4F95-4D3C-81ED-4DD7AAA585FB-6552-000008BF66F12715.gif

Back