2003 Explorer, 4.0 Engine Rattle (Timing Chain issue?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer, 4.0 Engine Rattle (Timing Chain issue?)

Nuke'em

Reaction score
City, State
Seal Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Explorer V6 4.0 SOHC
Hello everybody,

So here's what I got:

Upon engine start-up there's a noticeable rattle when the engine revs up. After a few seconds the noise seems to slightly go away. I say slightly because I can't hear a thing when I'm driving but if I'm at idle/stop at a light and there happens to be a car next to me I can definitely hear the noise bounce off the adjacent car.

The engine performance (mainly acceleration) is bad but not horrible. The engine sounds loud like it's working way too hard to come up to speed (almost like a Mac truck taking off from a stop, just not as loud). But it shifts nicely once it gets to speed, and surprisingly runs fairly smooth once it gets to 4th and 5th gears (maybe even starting from 3rd gear).

The rattle seems to be coming from the lower left (passenger side) front portion of the engine (by way of mechanic's stethoscope).

My guess is that it's either the primary timing chain tensioner, or the left guide assembly.

But I wanted to see what ya'll think. Kind of throwing up a Hail Mary and hoping it's not something too serious (which I don't think it is).

Any input?

Also, whether it's the primary chain tensioner OR the guide assembly, is this something I can fix without having to pull the engine?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Back