2003 XLT 4.6 4x4 shield mounted on transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT 4.6 4x4 shield mounted on transfer case

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
A shield that mounts to the transfer case of 2003 XLT 4.6 4x4 with two bolts broke right at one of the bends by where one bolt hole is. It was barely hanging on by a sliver at the other end and so I removed it. I cannot find the part number anywhere in my searches. Any ideas on this part and is it needed or can I just go without it? I don’t think it is a heat shield but more like a skid plate or protection shield for parts on the transfer case

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Skid plate. Any idea how the part was damaged?

Do you off-road your truck? If not, just remove, no problem.

If you want to travel off road, or otherwise want to replace the skid plate, I would suggest a salvage yard replacement.

Good luck with this.

Further searching I found what I believe is the Ford part for the transfer case shield and ordered one from a Ford dealers online parts site. It is part 4L2Z-7A434-AA. Once it arrives I will report back on how it fits and installs, etc...

Alligator it’s actially been broken by the outer mounting point for several years and I had bent it so it wouldn’t rattle. But my son now drives the Explorer and is using it at college. Looks like he is using it on Forest Service roads and some dirt roads to get to trout streams and hiking areas, so some mild off-roading I think. I am doing odds and ends to the Explorer while he came home for spring break and about to take off on a camping trip. Will let you guys know how the new part does

I finally had good weather to be able to change out the skid plate/ shield. The part I ordered is a perfect fit and I was wrong, there are three 10 mm bolts that mount it to the transfer case and not 2. Easy to install it.

Glad you had success!

How much did the new part cost?

Well done!

It was $21 but I bought direct from a Ford dealer’s online store. I haven’t shopped it on eBay , etc... but the part number above is the correct one
4L2Z-7A434-AA

What a surprisingly good price! Perfect.

Back