2004 Explorer 4.0 flex DTCs P0193 P0401 P0430 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer 4.0 flex DTCs P0193 P0401 P0430

bobparker603

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.0 flex
Hey all, I'm a new member working on my mother-in-laws explorer. This is really the first Ford I've ever worked on and need some help.

History: Single owner, 181,491 miles. The vehicle had P0171 & P0174 codes and wouldn't pass inspection. It had been driven this way for several months. It stumbled and occasionally died. After some google-fu I used starting fluid to determine that the intake manifold seals were leaking and replaced those. (I hate those intake manifold bolts) While I had everything apart I also replaced the valve cover gaskets because they were seeping.

Truck drove well for ~85 miles then it threw a MAF code and the P0430. MAF was replaced after cleaning failed to fix it, codes cleared. I suspected the cat was shot, but holding out hope.

CEL came back on, and here we are today.

Using Torque app, these are the current codes:

• P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input
  • P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
  • P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

These faults are pending:
  • P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
  • P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)

I'd really like some advice on where to start with this mess. What are the odds it needs $1000 worth of parts on a vehicle with a $1500 blue book value? After some reading, it looks like the p0401 would be the DPFE, which is integrated with the rest of the EGR module, and that could throw a false P0430. I've also read that a bad catalytic converter can cause an EGR code because of lack of flow. So I feel like it could be a chicken/egg problem.

I have standard tools including a multimeter. My only scan tool is my bluetooth adapter and Torque app, which unfortunately doesn't allow me to do things like check the DPFE voltage to see if it's out of spec.

I've no idea which one to tackle first. Throw me a bone here fellas.

Edit: My wife drove the vehicle (which she has driven over the years) for about 35 miles at varying speeds. She says it's driving the best it has in years. Acceleration, constant speed and idle all seem to be great. Pretty sure this rules out a clogged cat, no? So if the cats bad, it's because the rare minerals got burnt out.

Back