2004 Explorer XLS Transfercase chatter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer XLS Transfercase chatter

Rocky Weir

Reaction score
City, State
Garden City Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello, I have a 04 XLS with the Auto 4x4 and the 4L24-AE transfer case. So my rig has a fairly new remanufactured motor, new within the last year remanufactured transmission, but the transfer case is still OEM. 220k miles. Ive been getting a rumbling effect from a dead stop when I turn once the car has warmed up after 10 + miles of driving, but it smooths out once I get going and straighten the vehicle. Does not do it if im rolling through a turn, only from a dead stop. Took out the front driveline and cut the brown wire to the transfercase and it almost took the rumble away. Still does it a little bit. So im wondering if the chain is just binding up or something. So two questions;
1. Are these transfer cases hard to DIY replace in the driveway?
2. Is it better to just get a used one in ok shape and just do the brown wire mod on it?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rocky
*Also, this is for and 04, its an oddball and I realize that. I have asked for advice in the past, and keep getting suggestions for years that do not apply. I almost feel like the 04/05 is the redheaded stepchild of explorers.

Hello, I have a 04 XLS with the Auto 4x4 and the 4L24-AE transfer case. So my rig has a fairly new remanufactured motor, new within the last year remanufactured transmission, but the transfer case is still OEM. 220k miles. Ive been getting a rumbling effect from a dead stop when I turn once the car has warmed up after 10 + miles of driving, but it smooths out once I get going and straighten the vehicle. Does not do it if im rolling through a turn, only from a dead stop. Took out the front driveline and cut the brown wire to the transfercase and it almost took the rumble away. Still does it a little bit. So im wondering if the chain is just binding up or something. So two questions;
1. Are these transfer cases hard to DIY replace in the driveway?
2. Is it better to just get a used one in ok shape and just do the brown wire mod on it?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rocky
*Also, this is for and 04, its an oddball and I realize that. I have asked for advice in the past, and keep getting suggestions for years that do not apply. I almost feel like the 04/05 is the redheaded stepchild of explorers.

I just read on another forum that there is some that have chatter coming from the limited slip rear end, and they added some friction moddifier and it releived the chatter. Going to try that .

I just read on another forum that there is some that have chatter coming from the limited slip rear end, and they added some friction moddifier and it releived the chatter. Going to try that .
Worked for me. Guys replacing fluid didn't put modifier in.

Back