2006 Explorer XLT with 71K Miles 3rd Shift Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer XLT with 71K Miles 3rd Shift Problem

grx54559

Reaction score
City, State
Cd Juarez, Chihuahua
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Hello to all,

2006 Explorer XLT with 71K Miles 3rd Shift Problem, no problem to star the engine 1st and 2nd shift, no problem, ones it tries to go to 3rd shift, the RPM go up to 4K, let go of the gas pedal and the 3rd shift gears with no problem, after that no problem, if i do a full stop same procedure.

any one that had this problem? or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Jaurez, Mexico

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I read, the servo bores get worn out and the tranny can't build up the pressure. Look for servo fix kits for 5R55S transmissions (assuming you have v6)

That is the notorious 2-3 shift flare. The reason for it is generally explained as Two things happen on that shift, as opposed to one on the other shifts. If I recall correctly on the five-speed V6 transmission... Second gear is merely first gear with the overdrive in gaged... Then for the shift to third gear the overdrive must disengage at the same time the transmission shifts to what is really second gear, but the third ratio. If the two things do not happen at the exact same time you get the RPM flare up

Hello to all,

2006 Explorer XLT with 71K Miles 3rd Shift Problem, no problem to star the engine 1st and 2nd shift, no problem, ones it tries to go to 3rd shift, the RPM go up to 4K, let go of the gas pedal and the 3rd shift gears with no problem, after that no problem, if i do a full stop same procedure.

any one that had this problem? or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Jaurez, Mexico

I replaced the transmission fluid and it fixed the hard shift into 3rd. You will need a special adaptor for the drain plug and a cheap bulb type fluid pump. Remember to check the fluid level when the car is warm and running.

Back