2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer dvd player has no power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer dvd player has no power

Damned Reject

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB
I purchased this vehicle in March of 2018 with 205,000 miles. The vehicle had an aftermarket android radio. This past week I have replaced that radio with a Kenwood ddx375bt and the correct adapter to keep steering wheel controls and RES. Took apart the dvd player off roof. No power coming from red wire on plug. The fuse I believe associated is 41 under the hood according to a wire diagram. The fuse is good. The wire diagram shows that red wire coming from fuse 41 (hot at all times) and breaking off to go to both the dvd player and satellite radio reciever which is supposed to be at right kick panel. At the kick panel there is no satellite reciever, just the plug which also has no power at the red wire. So does it need that reciever? Is there a fuse I'm missing? The biggest problem for me is that I dont know what the whole system looked like stock or what was changed or messed with besides radio. I'm at a loss. That fuse would blow if the wire was bad right? Is there a way to temporary boot up the dvd player outside of car? Any help in helping me solve this would be tremendously appreciated. Thankyou

15380808802837010400379862479451.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The red power wire from Fuse # 41 is located in a harness that runs across the interior of the vehicle between the front seats. There is a 13 pin connecter (C145) that is grey in color and located under the centre console glove box. There is also a splice (S327) that connects the DVD and Sat receiver power that is located in a harness just below the pass side C pillar. It will be behind the side panel and runs from the floor up the front of the rear wheel well.
I would check for power on either side of C145 first. If you have power at both sides, then you will have to find and probe S327.
I have nav and dvd, but no sat receiver in my X.

Is this the connector you are referring too? I have power at both sides of plug.[/QUOTE]

15381373141104344198502796010275.jpg

If that is under the centre console and between the front seats, then yes.
C145 is a13 pin connector with 12 wires. Pin 6 is empty. The red wire is pin 3. Pins are located like this:

7 - 13
6 -
5 -
4 -
3 -
2 -
1 - 8

Wire colors are:
1 - yellow w/red stripe
2 - brown w/red stripe
3 - red
4 - blue w red stripe
5 - yellow w/red stripe
7 - brown w/red stripe
8 - brown w/red stripe
10 - white w/orange stripe
11 - brown
12 - grey w/red stripe
13 - green w/ red stripe.

There are a couple other connectors at the same location. One is a 20 pin grey connector (7 pins are empty) , another is a 40 pin black connector for the restraints control module (RCM).

Ok I think I'm in the correct spot. That is under the console. I pulled it off this morning. I'll double check I tested the right plug. There are those 2 grey plugs in the photo and the black one hidden under the carpet. So if I tested the correct wire and had power, you said to next check at the base of pillar c which is a splice not a plug? I appreciate your help. Messed with this yourself before? You are very knowledgeable about it.

If you have the right connector, the solid red power wire will be the 3rd wire from one end and have a brown/red stripe wire (pin 2) on I side and a blue/red stripe wire (pin 4) on the other side. If you have power on both sides of the connector, them disconnect it and check for continuity of the red wire from the connector to the dvd connector or sat reciever connector. If no continuity, then the problem is somewhere between c145 and s327.
To find s327, follow the dvd harness down the c pillar to a connector c328 just below the side glass. Check continuity on the red wire there. If no continuity either side of c328, continue to follow the harness from c328 back and you should see several take-offs (4 maybe) to other components. Just back from there is the splice in the red wire. (s327 and s328) Not sure where s328 goes at this time.
I have all the 2006 manuals and have some time to help you. That's what the peeps do on this site. I have a separate issue with my dvd player so have some knowledge of the wiring harness.
Are you trying to have the dvd function with your JVC player?

Ok here us where I'm at bill. My 13 pin connector only has 9 wires, not 12. I checked for continuity from that plug to dvd player and reciever. Nothing. Checked from 13 pin to plug on pillar and nothing. So the splice is below? On the floor or just a little lower in that harness? I dont see four splits or take offs at all. I just see 2. 1 right after plug and another a little ways down. I really hope I dont have to cut all these wires apart...

15381676109248997692172314660149.jpg

Can't explain 9 wire vs 12 wire for c145, but moving forward, if your pic is the connector (c328) for the harness up to the dvd player, then you will find the splice in the main bundle just before the first take-off. The wiring diagrams manual describes the location of splice (s327) near take-off to c3249 which is the connector for the right rear side impact sensor. C3249 is black and only 2 wire.
Carefully cut through the wrap on the main harness and spread the wiring apart. Find the solid red wire and locate the splice.

So are you trying to connect the dvd player to your JVC head-unit?

Does your truck have a moon/sunroof?

I just want it to power on with the button any time my children want to use it, to get them out of my hair or for long trips. I also want it to play over the car speakers like it is supposed to do with all those wires. Is that what you mean by connected to my Kenwood? Yes it does have a sun roof

Your original post mentioned that your eddy did not have the oem stereo/radio and that you replaced the non oem with a Kenwood unit. (sorry that I mentioned JVC above). The communication network (MS CAN) includes the oem audio unit, sat receiver and dvd player as well as all the other modules, components, etc.
So will the dvd player operate without the oem audio unit? Maybe someone else can comment on that.

FYI, I lost power and communication between the factory head unit and the dvd player in my truck several years ago.
When I pulled out the dvd player, there was noticeable green rot at the dvd wiring connector, probably caused by water leaking from the sunroof drain tubes. (There is a TSB for the drain tube issue)
Disconnecting the dvd harness at c328 caused the warning message system to indicate abs problems and TPMS issues. Reconnected the harness and the fault messages went away. Stange

I'm not sure if the dvd player would power on with the OEM audio unit because I do not have the original one or access to one to try. I do not plan on buying one for 1-150 at a junkyard just to test that. The only light I have on is the airbag light since purchase due to bad instrument cluster. I'm assuming you have fixed that plug since and nothing?

Back