2006 Merc Mountaineer radiator fan issues ... water pump or fan clutch or both? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Merc Mountaineer radiator fan issues ... water pump or fan clutch or both?

ArmchairMechanic

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercy Mount'r 4.0LV6
I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L V6 with 160k miles on it.

Problem -- When I start engine, an awful loud sound comes from radiator fan; as if fan blades are hitting something but I see no obstruction. The fan spins at, what appears to be, full speed on a cold start. Radiator reservoir coolant looks faint yellow (not just the tank, but the liquid itself). I put 33/66 green anti freeze / water in last winter (Florida). I have never seen high oil temps on my dash gauge; in fact, they've always seemed a little cool. I have no idea if the radiator fan has been spinning at max speed bc I am never outside my vehicle when it runs. It is possible the radiator fan has been spinning at max speed for a long time now and I never noticed.

So, my keyboard commander skills tell me fan clutch has seized or the bearings in the fan motor have "gone out." I think that, if the engine has fan clutch then it does not have a fan motor with ball bearings...right? Will take another look tonight to see if I see a clutch in the fan blade.

On auto zone website, I see both a fan clutch and a "radiator fan assembly" for sale for my make/year. There is no way the fan clutch works, in any way, with the fan on that fan assembly. The fan assembly is the Dorman Radiator Fan Assembly 620-146. Is this fan assembly the electronically controlled fan? Why would I use this fan assembly if I have a fan clutch? I do not understand why AutoZone says this part fits my vehicle.

Assuming I have a fan clutch, is it correct that there cannot be a ball bearings problem? I think the fact that fan spins fast on start indicates fan clutch has seized up. I will do the cold spin test tonight. And the paper test to judge the relative speed of the fan. Although, with that terrible sound, I'm afraid to let the engine run.

I figure the noise must be the water pump. Maybe the clutch seized up a long time ago and now the water pump finally gave out?

I called local dealer; they quoted $800 and something to replace fan clutch (not sure if this includes water pump but I assume it does bc dealer should always swap both). Which breaks down to $500 for parts, $300 for labor. I can get a clutch and pump combo from autozone (free overnight to my house) for about $308+tax. It is the Duralast Kits Water Pump with Fan Clutch MCK1102 (not sure if I can post a link).

I am unable to replace myself. But need to save as much money as I can.

Trying not to waste time/money; would appreciate any guidance and help trying to learn.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go motorcraft on these parts imo

I hear you on using Motorcraft parts, but the Motorcraft fan clutch alone costs $420+tax. I am sure this is the part that the dealership quoted me.

Use the part numbers from the links above and search on eBay to

Back