2006 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0 V6 - What to expect | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0 V6 - What to expect

FordSUVdriver

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello all,

I just bought a new to me 2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4.0 V6 RWD. It was a one owner, well maintained, local, southern vehicle. So far, we are really enjoying this SUV. I'd like to know what to expect in terms of potential repairs and common issues with this year and model. So far, the dealership replaced the 3rd row seat motor assembly prior to my purchase and I'll need to repair the power running boards based on a thread here. I went ahead a put some Firestone Destinations on it so good to go there for awhile.

What should I anticipate and look out for with this truck? I've seen radiator, spark plugs, and transmission threads but I'm not sure if this pertains to my specific model. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The radiator, spark plugs, and transmission issues are related to the V8 model and should not be an issue for you. I don't know how many miles yours has, but the most common issue I have had is with the ABS tone rings and the power running boards but that may be related to the roads/conditions that I drive in.
I really don't think you have much to worry about, just service everything regularly and enjoy your Mountaineer.

86K miles. I'll read up on the tone rings. Good to know those issues aren't common on the V6. The shop that put on the tires commented on how we'll maintained the truck was and that the 2 wheel drive should be less maintenance than a 4x4 in this model.

At 86K, I would change the spark plugs (nothing fancy just a double platinum) and flush the transmission if there are no records of it being done yet. It has been my experience, 2 or 4wd the maintenance is all the same, just one less driveline to worry about.

The V6 does have the radiator issues as well.

Add this to the list... I unlocked the rear hatch window last night and it won't lock back. Therefore the "window ajar" message is displayed and I had to turn off the interior lights since this forced them to stay on. I don't have time to fix it before a trip out if town so it's at my favorite local indie shop for repair. Ugh.

Back