2007 4.0L wiring harness compatibility with earlier models | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 4.0L wiring harness compatibility with earlier models

Al Gerhart

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Exp 4WD 4.0 liter
So the mechanic finishes up a front timing chain and guides job on my 2007 Explorer and we got a no start. Extremely high fuel pressure they said and looking at the fuel rail pressure sensor the wires are pretty bare as are some of the other areas of the wiring harness near the connectors. They pulled apart the harness near the connectors and separated the wires and taped them up in an attempt to get the engine to start but no joy.

So looking around the 2007 explorer wiring harness for the 4.0L seems near impossible to find short of a couple online from salvage outfits. However one mechanic answering questions claimed that any 2006 - 2008 harness will work with the 2007 and I am assuming that means exact engine/tranny/body trim package and the 4WD of course.

There are new 2006 harnesses available and a lot of salvage harnesses. Is this mechanic right or wrong about those years being compatible? I ran across one mention of finding the wiring harness tag and getting is part number. Anyone know where that will be found on the harness?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

06-14 will likely work
Big changes in 06, should be similar to your 07
However
why not pull the 07 harness and repair it?
you are looking to pull it to swap it out, why not just fix the one you have

06-14 will likely work
Big changes in 06, should be similar to your 07
However
why not pull the 07 harness and repair it?
you are looking to pull it to swap it out, why not just fix the one you have
The engine appears to have had a lot of heat over the years, just moving the harness has chunks popping off. Very brittle. More than one of the wires is frayed and half of the strands broken.

On the good side, a Ford dealer searched by VIN number and found a match. I will post the part number in case someone else needs it.

As it turned out the wiring harness wasn't shorting out anything. The mobile "mechanic" that made that claim asked for a new wiring harness, which I ordered, only to find out that he hadn't timed the passenger side camshaft when he replaced the front timing chain and cassettes. Crashed the valves, a good reason it wouldn't start. But he fired the parts cannon and blamed it on the wiring harness.

The Explorer was pretty good up till this year where I spent over $7000 in repair costs and rental cars while it was down. Sold it for salvage today for $650.00.

And I am left with a brand new wiring harness for the V6 4.0 liter engine if anyone needs one. $300 and I'll pay the ground shipping anywhere in the continental U.S.

As it turned out the wiring harness wasn't shorting out anything. The mobile "mechanic" that made that claim asked for a new wiring harness, which I ordered, only to find out that he hadn't timed the passenger side camshaft when he replaced the front timing chain and cassettes. Crashed the valves, a good reason it wouldn't start. But he fired the parts cannon and blamed it on the wiring harness.

The Explorer was pretty good up till this year where I spent over $7000 in repair costs and rental cars while it was down. Sold it for salvage today for $650.00.

And I am left with a brand new wiring harness for the V6 4.0 liter engine if anyone needs one. $300 and I'll pay the ground shipping anywhere in the continental U.S.
I’m interested in this.

What a fiasco

When only replacing the front chains and cassettes the camshaft never should have been moved it should have been locked in place solid.
This Mobil mechanic is some
Piece of work! Is he liable at all?

If you still have the wiring harness call me 251 401 2300 Jason or email jlynn4180@gmail.com

Back