2008 limited... Ignition--Power Seat issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 limited... Ignition--Power Seat issue

rollingmenace

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs , Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Bronco 5.0 4" SAS...
Ok here's the scoop have a new ro us 2008 limited v8 power everything....
The key switch on the colum causes the driver seat to adjust with slight pressure which seems normal allthough it seems to be real sensitive..
Now the problem... Never when I'm driving but have witnessed once and it happens to wife 3 times today... Time I saw it we were driving and hit a pothole her seat automatically moved back and dome ligh came on.... Today she was driving to work and said the seat just randomly starts moving back on its own... This is a problem as she only 5'2" and is a serious saftey concern...
any advise or info appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, turn off your Easy Entry/Exit feature (pg 138 of your owners manual). That should stop the seat from moving while driving. If that doesn't work, put the seat where you want it and pull the power seat fuse. It is a safety issue.

Second, it sounds like you have a short either in the ignition switch or on the seat itself. I can't help you there. You'll have to open and inspect the steering column (ignition collar) to go further.

replace your ignition switch - there are a lot of posts about this.. they wear out and the car thinks that the key is being removed (hence the seat adjustment). the issue i had, was my interior lights would come on when i hit a bump (i dont have programmable seats)

Its a 20 minute fix- i replaced it in my 08 with this switch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

replace your ignition switch - there are a lot of posts about this.. they wear out and the car thinks that the key is being removed (hence the seat adjustment). the issue i had, was my interior lights would come on when i hit a bump (i dont have programmable seats)

Its a 20 minute fix- i replaced it in my 08 with this switch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Link doesn't seem to be working. I've got the same problem on my 'sploder, and it would definitely be nice to get it fixed!

Cool I did quite a bit of searching... And came up with either the switch or lock cylinder ... I'll order the parts and have a buddy's shop put them in unless I can find the time myself....
I'm planning on switch for sure but what do you all think about lock cylinder I just don't want to have to do it twice...

from what i understand, the two work in concert with each other to create the fault in the switch.. as the lock wears, it creates more wear on the switch.

While replacing just the switch worked for me - replacing the lock as well may prolong the switch. I chose just to replace the switch due to cost, ease of installation and the fact that the original one lasted 100k miles and many starts..

Sounds like a pretty straight forward replacement for the switch alone. Is the link you posted for a different year or engine size (not that I can see engine size, etc making much difference in a part like this)? When I searched up my Explorer on fordparts.com, I come up with a SW-6343 part #.

Our 08 did this when we first bought it, can be somewhat nerve wracking driving along and suddenly the seat moves back. Replacing the switch fixed it, cheap and easy, if only all repairs were like this!

Back