2008 Ltd 4.6L needs muffler side flange from where Y pipe joins. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ltd 4.6L needs muffler side flange from where Y pipe joins.

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
2008 Ltd 4.6L 120k. I am in need of a replacement flange for the muffler side of where the Y pipe comes down and joins the first muffler. Just under the drivers door.

The flange and pipe on the Y pipe are solid and good. The bolts and muffler side flange are rusty, The muffler flare is still in good condition, It is just the bolts and spinning two-hole flange that are corroded.

I have looked all over. Walker, Fx Exhaust, AP etc. None of them have anything bigger that 2.5".
If you look at this picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z0yvnkllbumrgq/Flange Markedup.jpg?dl=0 you'll see my measurements. Yes 2.70" OD for the pipes (not on the flare) and 5.2" OC for the bolt holes.

I could probably get by with just the gasket (ordering it on Monday) and a new bolt/spring set. But I don't think there is much life left in the spinning muffler flange.

This 2.7"/2.75" OD pipe seems to be a rarity as far as flanges go.

The rest of the exhaust system is in good condition and does not need replacement.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, saw them all. Nothing available bigger than 2.5" . Thanks.

UPDATE: I ended up ordering the donut gasket from the local dealer. $22. I measured the ID of it DEFINITELY 2.75 ID I installed it yesterday. Due to limited access/workspace in the vehicle, it took me about 1.5 hours to get each of the rusted bolts off. I used a dremel to cut a slice in each of the nuts and then one hit with a hammer and a cold chisel and the nut splits off. It took all of 10 minutes to put the gasket and bolt/spring kit in. It sill leaks slightly, under pressure but way better than it was. The Y pipe and flare pipe from the muffler don't seem to mate perfectly, there is a slight angle to the joint. I think when I had manifolds done years ago, they may not have got them aligned perfectly. It's good enough for now.

Thanks for the info

UPDATE: I ended up ordering the donut gasket from the local dealer. $22. I measured the ID of it DEFINITELY 2.75 ID

Thanks for the info

Any chance you have the receipt that shows the part number? Within the last couple of days, I heard what sounded like an exhaust leak on my '05 EB 4.6l After crawling underneath it seems to me that the donut has broken into pieces and fallen out. I have been spraying the flange bolts with ATF/acetone mix and the bolts are frozen. The car was originaly from way up north and for the last 6 years, down here in the tropics. Mucho rust!! The flange itself seems ok.

Back