2009-2010 6R transmission question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009-2010 6R transmission question

Mikey98Ex5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0
Hey guys, I currently have a 1998 Explorer with the 5.0 but sadly she’s getting tired and rusty. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a 2009-2010 Limited with the 4.6L. From what I’ve read, it looks like the 2006-2008 had the 6R60 and the 2009-2010 got the 6R80?

I like that the 6R80 sounds like it’s a beefier transmission from what I’ve been reading and just want to verify that’s correct the 2009-2010 got those. Also from what I’ve read it sounds like the 6R60 is pretty reliable overall too but I’m mainly asking out of curiosity.

Thanks!

The isn't much difference between the 6R60 and 6R80 transmissions. The 80 version has a slightly higher torque rating due to more robust parts. The software is different for each transmission version. IMO, there are other, more important, reasons to go with the 2009-2010 models that are related to changes with the engine. A big one is the heads were redesigned to use one piece spark plugs in the 2009-2010 models. The older models used two piece spark plugs that have a habit of breaking and leaving the tip in the head when they are being removed. There is a special tool to extract the tips if they break but it is a PITA. The intake manifold had design changes for these years. It is generally thought that the insulation used in the wiring harnesses for the 2009-2010 models are better quality and are less likely to become brittle and flake away causing short circuits. This issue seems to be more prevalent in the 2006-2008 models. Otherwise, I don't think there are any other differences to note. IMO, the 2006-2010 V8 models have one of the best, if not the best, drive trains for a stock Explorer/Mountaineer. With good maintenance both the transmission and engine can go for 250k-300k miles or more. Plus, I can get up to 22 mpg on the highway in mine if I keep the speed to 60-65 mph. Not bad mpg for a 5k lb brick with a 292 hp V8 using a modified F150 truck frame and has a 7,000 lb tow rating.

Got it, thanks for the info! Lots of that I didn’t know. Trying to learn more about the 4th Gens and what to look out for. What about rust issues? I’ve seen a few where the dog leg is rotted out so that must be a rust prone spot. Whenever I do pick one up that’s clean I plan to fluid film it right away before any winters I drive it in.

I don't think they have any weaknesses regarding rust beyond what is typical. I suggest pulling a Carfax on any vehicle you are thinking of buying. This can give some good info on service history and accidents. It also tells you where the vehicle has been driven. Personally, I wouldn't buy a vehicle that has spent the majority of its life in the Rust Belt areas. Try to find one that spent its time where the roads aren't salted often. Even if you have to drive to get it. A 4th gen is anywhere from 12-16 years old now and doing time in highly salted areas means it is likely well rusted by now. You are wise to have it Fluid Filmed every fall living in Wisconsin. It is money well spent.

You can get Carfax Reports for $4.89 each at this link. I have used this site a lot and it beats paying the outrageous prices on the Carfax website.

Back