2012 explorer dead battery... locked out! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 explorer dead battery... locked out!

rsky

Reaction score
City, State
cynthiana ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 xlt
Vehicle battery on my 2012 xlt is dead. Key blade on the fobs does not open the door lock so I'm locked out, which means I can't open the hood to access the battery. I know some models have a hidden key in the fob but neither of my 3-button key fobs do. Seen some videos unlatch the hood with a screwdriver but the 2012 grill has no access for that. Am I stuck having to pry the door frame open and use a long wire to grab a door release? Seems like that could break or bend something. Anyone else been down this road and found a more elegant solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you saying you can't find the emergency key, or that it's missing from where it's supposed to be?

An experienced locksmith can pick the lock where the emergency is supposed to go. Experienced locksmiths will also have vehicle model specific tools for wedging the corner of the door to create a small gap, then feed a pre-bent wire that can grab the door handle and pull it open.

This may be the time to pay a professional to minimize any damage to the door.

Good luck.

Are you saying you can't find the emergency key, or that it's missing from where it's supposed to be?

An experienced locksmith can pick the lock where the emergency is supposed to go. Experienced locksmiths will also have vehicle model specific tools for wedging the corner of the door to create a small gap, then feed a pre-bent wire that can grab the door handle and pull it open.

This may be the time to pay a professional to minimize any damage to the door.

Good luck.
I am the original owner but don't recall having received an emergency key that unlocks the door. I agree a locksmith is probably the best option. Thanks!

Key blade on the fobs does not open the door lock so I'm locked out,
I don't understand. You're stating you do have a key blade, but either it was never cut, or does not fit the lock cylinder on the door, or that the door lock cylinder is damaged? How about a different door? You are the original owner and never checked to see if you had a working key? If so then you have much more faith in tech than I do!

I wouldn't pay a locksmith to get the vehicle open per se, rather pay one or a Ford dealer for a new key that lets you do it yourself, then you have a working key going forward.

On my 2013 the key is part of the fob. The top of the fob is the key handle.There is a slider on the back to release the key from the fob (hold fob upside down so key can slide out).

If you have to force entry yourself, they sell air bags that are paper thin. You slide them into the top corner of the door and slowly inflate with a pump. This should allow enough space to get a coat hanger through the opening. The door lock has to be pulled upwards so that's gonna be tricky. Ive done this on a locked out GMC truck and I had the door open in about 40 seconds with zero damage.

What kind of key fob do you have?
Is it keyless version or one with actual key?

The keyless fobs have a hidden key inside.
I don't think the actual key version has a hidden key.

As J_C said, odd that if you have the key version that it doesn't unlock the door.

I am the original owner but don't recall having received an emergency key that unlocks the door. I agree a locksmith is probably the best option. Thanks!
For the Intelligent Access Keys, they come with the emergency key 'inside' the FOB.

If you mean that you have a regular key fob and the key won't unlock the door, your lock may be corroded and need to be cleaned. You can spray some WD40 in the lock and rake the key back and forth many times until the tumblers are freed up.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
According to the manual, there are 2 types of keys.
Integrated Keyhead Transmitter
1710344501091.png

Intelligent Access
1710344580420.png

Which do you have?

Peter

I don't understand. You're stating you do have a key blade, but either it was never cut, or does not fit the lock cylinder on the door, or that the door lock cylinder is damaged? How about a different door? You are the original owner and never checked to see if you had a working key? If so then you have much more faith in tech than I do!

I wouldn't pay a locksmith to get the vehicle open per se, rather pay one or a Ford dealer for a new key that lets you do it yourself, then you have a working key going forward.
Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to explain in more detail. As stated I am the original owner of the 2012 explorer and I have the original 2 key fobs. The fobs have a lock, unlock, and horn button, and a fixed key blade that starts the vehicle but cannot unlock the drivers door, which happens to be the only door with a key cylinder. Why Ford designed it like this is beyond me. According to some youtube videos, some explorers come with enlogated fobs that contain an emergency key hidden inside the fob shell. My fobs don't have a hidden key, nor do they have room for one since they are not the enlogated shape. So without a working vehicle battery and emergency key, there is no way to open any door without resorting to theiving skills or calling a locksmith. And to make matters worse, you can't even pry open the hood latch to get to the battery without damaging the front grill. But the story has a happy ending. After watching another youtube video where the guy used an inflatable air bag to pull out the passenger door frame just enough to insert a long reach rod and grab a door handle, I purchased those tools and successfully broke into my own car. All things considered, this was the cheapest solution. And to make sure I never got locked out due to a dead battery again, I am going to attach a charging cable to the battery, with the connector end tucked behind the front grill for easy connection to a battery charger.

?? I had assumed that if you had an ignition lock cylinder the key works in to start it, that the door lock cylinder would be keyed the same?

That is the factory setup, so either there's something wrong with the door cylinder or someone replaced a cylinder and didn't rekey it to match.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to explain in more detail. As stated I am the original owner of the 2012 explorer and I have the original 2 key fobs. The fobs have a lock, unlock, and horn button, and a fixed key blade that starts the vehicle but cannot unlock the drivers door, which happens to be the only door with a key cylinder. Why Ford designed it like this is beyond me. According to some youtube videos, some explorers come with enlogated fobs that contain an emergency key hidden inside the fob shell. My fobs don't have a hidden key, nor do they have room for one since they are not the enlogated shape. So without a working vehicle battery and emergency key, there is no way to open any door without resorting to theiving skills or calling a locksmith. And to make matters worse, you can't even pry open the hood latch to get to the battery without damaging the front grill. But the story has a happy ending. After watching another youtube video where the guy used an inflatable air bag to pull out the passenger door frame just enough to insert a long reach rod and grab a door handle, I purchased those tools and successfully broke into my own car. All things considered, this was the cheapest solution. And to make sure I never got locked out due to a dead battery again, I am going to attach a charging cable to the battery, with the connector end tucked behind the front grill for easy connection to a battery charger.
That key opens the driver's side door.

Get some PB Blaster and squirt it into the lock cylinder, then rake the key in and out fully several times. Keep repeating until the key is able to turn the lock. This could take quite some time and many attempts, you want to get that lock working again.

Good luck

It would appear that you have the Integrated Keyhead Transmitter. As you can see in the description, it is designed to unlock/lock the driver's door.
I think the issue here is that your lock is faulty.

1710974461202.png

Peter

It would appear that you have the Integrated Keyhead Transmitter. As you can see in the description, it is designed to unlock/lock the driver's door.
I think the issue here is that your lock is faulty.

View attachment 450814

Peter
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Suggestions that the lock might be stuck got me thinking, so I squirted a generous dose of lubricant followed by raking the key in and out for 20 seconds. That did the trick! Lesson learned: Sometimes the simplest solution is the right one.

Back