2013 Explorer too:High-pitched whistling noise after engine having turned off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer too:High-pitched whistling noise after engine having turned off

VanExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT 202a
After reading the following post, I remembered that for the last two nights, after having turning off the car, my husband had asked me whether I had heard some hi-pitch squeaking from the car? I did not pay much attention to that then, but that noise did exist and sounded really weird. I am worried now. There might be some kind of malfunction for some parts of the car.

So, it seems that the problem is probably still with 2013 Explorer. Not sure whether this could be solved but will have to take the car back to dealership to have it checked

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376629

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This forum is really nice. Many things can be learnt from other owners! I will keep posted on the progress of the issue so that others could be informed as well.

After reading the following post, I remembered that for the last two nights, after having turning off the car, my husband had asked me whether I had heard some hi-pitch squeaking from the car? I did not pay much attention to that then, but that noise did exist and sounded really weird. I am worried now. There might be some kind of malfunction for some parts of the car.

So, it seems that the problem is probably still with 2013 Explorer. Not sure whether this could be solved but will have to take the car back to dealership to have it checked

Hi Angela. It would have been better to have posted this in the original thread so that these issues are all kept in one place. It would make it much easier to read about all these similar issues in one place.
Do, however, keep us updated as to anything you or your dealer finds out about this issue. I have a 2011 Limited and have not heard this noise at any time.
Good luck and happy motoring. Best wishes for the New Year form a fellow Canadian.

Peter

Let me know how it goes at the dealership, VanExplorer. You're always welcome to reach out to the fine folks at Ford Canada; they can be reached at 1-800-565-3673. Keep me posted on how things go!

Crystal

This forum is really nice. Many things can be learnt from other owners! I will keep posted on the progress of the issue so that others could be informed as well.

Just a hunch here....my '13 sport hasn't arrived yet but it could be the sound of the turbo still spinning after shutting off the engine. When you park after driving, wait 20-30secs before you turn the engine off to let it cool down and see if the sound is still there.

A few buddies owned turbo vehicles and installed turbo timers for that purpose (albeit these were track cars) and had the timers keep the engine idle for several minutes. If they shut the car off immediately you'd hear a wooshing/whistle

Older Tech

... When you park after driving, wait 20-30secs before you turn the engine off to let it cool down and see if the sound is still there. ...

Not sure if you were suggesting to keep the engine running for a few moments just to diagnose this noise or as a preventative maintenance. Either way, I am pretty sure (I read it somewhere, here, one of my car mags, or at blueovalnews.com, and yes I don't believe everything I read on the internet) that Ford designed the new Ecoboost Turbos so that you can shut the car off immediately. Waiting for the turbo to spin down was (is) good practice to avoid early failure in older tech turbos.

Not sure if you were suggesting to keep the engine running for a few moments just to diagnose this noise or as a preventative maintenance. Either way, I am pretty sure (I read it somewhere, here, one of my car mags, or at blueovalnews.com, and yes I don't believe everything I read on the internet) that Ford designed the new Ecoboost Turbos so that you can shut the car off immediately. Waiting for the turbo to spin down was (is) good practice to avoid early failure in older tech turbos.

Yeah - the caveat in my statement is that my buddies that installed turbo timers did it for a heavily modded Supra and an Eclipse GSX with an aftermarket turbo...this was a good 10yrs ago though. Before getting the timers installed, they'd sit in their car's for a few minutes and let the engine idle for a few minutes before shutting the engine off.

I don't know much about the Ecoboost so I suggested waiting 20-30sec to see if the sound goes away as a test. Its perfectly normal for some turbos to keep spinning after the engine shuts off as the turbo spins at a much higher rate.

Back