2014 Console power points all dead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Console power points all dead

ccsmith51

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 AWD XLT Explorer
All three power points on my center console are dead.

I checked them with a 12V test light and a DVM. No voltage.

The power point on the left rear wall next to the gate functions.

I pulled fuses 9, 20, 21, and 27 and checked continuity with a DVM, all good.

I checked the fuse socket blades and there is 12V on each power side tab.

I checked for continuity between the center connector of the power point socket and case, no continuity so it appears there are no shorts (which I would have expected to open a fuse).

I searched the forum for this issue and found a number of others with the same problem, but no one posted finding the problem and the solution.

Can someone tell me where to look next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you just get this vehicle or have you had it since new? If the latter, is this a change from before?
Was the vehicle running when you did the checks? If not, then likely the battery saver feature likely turned them OFF. If they have power with the ignition ON or vehicle running, I would think they are operating normally.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you just get this vehicle or have you had it since new? If the latter, is this a change from before?
Was the vehicle running when you did the checks? If not, then likely the battery saver feature likely turned them OFF. If they have power with the ignition ON or vehicle running, I would think they are operating normally.

Peter
Peter,

I have owned this vehicle since 2017.

I have not tried it with the engine running, but I have done all my tests with the ignition in the on position.

Something I just thought of: the center port quit first, then the lighter port and rear port second, within a week.

I have had a 15 amp device plugged into one of those ports that runs intermittently. The device has a 15 amp fuse. The ports are protected by 20 amp fuses. All fuses are good.

Thanks,

Chris

Perhaps try checking them again with the vehicle running to see if any or all have power.

Peter

Peter, tried with engine running, no luck, all still dead...

Any other ideas?

Sounding like I need to check the wiring to the console? Any help on checking the wiring to the console?

Partial solution, although I have no idea why...

I got down to the nitty gritty and removed the passenger side panel of the center console. I separated the chassis side of the main connector (female) from the console side (male).

I located the three power wires that go to the the three center connectors of the power points. I turned on the key and on the chassis side checked for voltage with a test light. Power on all connections.

I then reconnected the main connector and checked for voltage at the power point. Nothing. Very odd...

Then I removed the trim that holds the center power point, inside the console box. I removed the connector from the rear of the power point socket and tested the connector for voltage. 12V!!!!! Even more odd...

And the oddest of all, I reconnected the connector to the power point socket, and there was 12V!! I plugged in a USB adapter ad it worked!!

I then plugged that same adapter into the power point on the rear of the console. Nothing. So, I removed the rear console and removed the connector from the power point, and guess what? 12V. Then I plugged the connector back onto the power point and inserted my USB adapter, and guess what? It worked!!!

Finally I plugged the adapter into the front power point next to the USB ports and SD card. Nothing. Now, getting to the back of that power point is a major undertaking, requiring the removal of the center console. So at this point I'm going to call 2 out of 3 good and move on.

However, I cannot figure out why simply removing the connector and reconnecting it caused the power points to work. Connections were clean with no indication of corrosion or overheating.

Anyone have any ideas????

I wonder if there was a ground problem?:dunno:

Peter

Not fully seated? I can't imagine why that would be the case, but, weird stuff happens on used cars.

Back