2014 Explorer Limited Cannot use both USB ports at the same time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Limited Cannot use both USB ports at the same time

darlinator

Reaction score
City, State
Martinez
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
I cannot simultaneously play my iPod and charge another device. Can’t use both USB ports, they seem to cancel each other out. Both ports work. Passenger was trying to charge their phone while my iPod was playing. Power stopped to both devices. There are two USB ports, the SD card slot and an audio input (headphone jack)..What is the SD card slot for? I am not knowledgeable in the capabilities of an SD card beyond storing pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SD cards can hold music also. This is where maps are stored for navigation

Not sure on the USB ports. Now I have sync3, I use 1 for wireless CarPlay and the other to my wireless charger for my iPhone.

I cannot simultaneously play my iPod and charge another device. Can’t use both USB ports, they seem to cancel each other out. Both ports work. Passenger was trying to charge their phone while my iPod was playing. Power stopped to both devices. There are two USB ports, the SD card slot and an audio input (headphone jack)..What is the SD card slot for? I am not knowledgeable in the capabilities of an SD card beyond storing pictures.
Welcome to the Forum?
Do you have Navigation in your Limited? As Joe mentioned that slot is for the navigation map info. Are your USB ports still working?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum?
Do you have Navigation in your Limited? As Joe mentioned that slot is for the navigation map info. Are your USB ports still working?

Peter
Hi Peter, Yes, I have Navigation on my 2014 Limited Explorer. The USB ports each work. I cannot have my ipod plugged in and charge my phone at the same time. I tested each port individually. Each port works

Perhaps it is a safety cut-off to protect overload? Perhaps another member can try the same thing to see if they also lose power to both. I just have a phone but usually charge it up at home. I haven't tried the USB or the 110V outlet with the phone's adapter yet for charging.

Peter

Back