2014 Explorer (PIU) Front End Body Swap To 2016/19 Look | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer (PIU) Front End Body Swap To 2016/19 Look

FordGuy2014

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, QC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Interceptor Utility.
Has anyone tried and succeeded in replacing pre 2016 Explorer (PIU or not) front body style to look like the 2016's and up?
I want a more modern look, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone tried and succeeded in replacing pre 2016 Explorer (PIU or not) front body style to look like the 2016's and up?
I want a more modern look, if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Trade it in. Not worth the cost.

I think that since the 2016 was a refresh that you would likely need fenders, hood, grille, bumper and all front lights.

Peter

I think that since the 2016 was a refresh that you would likely need fenders, hood, grille, bumper and all front lights.

Peter
Yes. I would need all but the hood. But is it a direct fit, like remove my parts and install 2016 parts? Or will I have to make modes to the cowl and such?

Yes. I would need all but the hood. But is it a direct fit, like remove my parts and install 2016 parts? Or will I have to make modes to the cowl and such?
The hood on the 2016+ is a slightly different design but I don't know about the overall dimensions. Not sure what mods you may have to make since I don't think anyone has done this before.

Peter

The hood on the 2016+ is a slightly different design but I don't know about the overall dimensions. Not sure what mods you may have to make since I don't think anyone has done this before.

Peter
Oh, I thought the hood was the same. Thanks for the information. I will do some more research.

Thanks again :)

I believe the change was to the center 'indentation'. It looks like it comes out a little further toward the front.

Peter

I believe the change was to the center 'indentation'. It looks like it comes out a little further toward the front.

Peter
Length is different of the two styles. Who knows what bumper this comes from but this is likely a mess from insurance, resale etc perspective. Frankenstein. I guarantee there would need to be customization. Parts might be cheap but the customization will cost. I guess what is the end game other than looks? Ford designs them for easy manufacturing not repair.

So did you try to swap it finally😅?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if the member is still following the thread. He was last seen here June 2nd.

Peter

I don't know if the member is still following the thread. He was last seen here June 2nd.

Peter
Thank you, i'm hoping ahah, i dont understand why people say it dont worth it, i paid 8k for my 12 limited, a 17 worth hmm average 20k, so for 12k + insurances pricea that are 1k more i think it 100% worth it ahahah

Hi there,

No I haven't tried it. I found out that it is do-able by replacing the front cowl and all the brackets. Then the fenders and hood can be fitted as well as the grill, lights and bumper. The plus side is, It will give you 2 inches more space between the engine and rad when working on it lol. I got all the parts for just under $600 off of an rear ended model. The fenders and hood with the front half of the donor PIU with the rad and fans are sitting on my trailer. I'm doing it myself so no labor costs to a shop. I just haven't had the time to get to it. That work and family thing seems to get in the way LOL.

Pictures? Please I’m looking to do the same conversation I want to know what I need other then fenders,hood,bumper and lights

Pictures? Please I’m looking to do the same conversation I want to know what I need other then fenders,hood,bumper and lights
Since the member hasn't posted any follow-up, I'm guessing the parts are still on the trailer or elsewhere.:)

Peter

Back