2014 XLT Shudder under load in between shifts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 XLT Shudder under load in between shifts

POHRacing

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer 3.5 XLT
I need some guidance on diagnosing either a tranny shudder or engine misfire issue on my 2014 XLT. The stumbling happens under part throttle high load between 2k 3k rpm either between shifts or when the trans is anticipating a shift. It happens in both automatic and manual modes. Im leaning towards it being a TC or solenoid issue, but the problem just started out of nowhere and the car has basically sat for the last 9 months (COVID). It doesn’t happen at all in 6th gear and at WOT it shifts smoothly through all gears.
There’s no MIL or DTC

Any idea where to start looking? I changed the plugs about a year ago but they only have around 1,000 miles on them. So far I’ve cleaned the MAF, checked for vacuum leaks, and disconnected the battery for 30 minutes. Problem seems to be getting worse with each drive cycle.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need some guidance on diagnosing either a tranny shudder or engine misfire issue on my 2014 XLT. The stumbling happens under part throttle high load between 2k 3k rpm either between shifts or when the trans is anticipating a shift. It happens in both automatic and manual modes. Im leaning towards it being a TC or solenoid issue, but the problem just started out of nowhere and the car has basically sat for the last 9 months (COVID). It doesn’t happen at all in 6th gear and at WOT it shifts smoothly through all gears.
There’s no MIL or DTC

Any idea where to start looking? I changed the plugs about a year ago but they only have around 1,000 miles on them. So far I’ve cleaned the MAF, checked for vacuum leaks, and disconnected the battery for 30 minutes. Problem seems to be getting worse with each drive cycle.
Thanks!
55 series trans are bullet proof. Wonder if its a coil?

55 series trans are bullet proof. Wonder if its a coil?
I thought Ford switched to the 6 speed 6F35 in 2011? My 2010 had the 5r55 but I didn’t think they carried over to the FWD platform.

So after reading more about the 6f55, the overwhelming recommendation is that the fluid change interval be 30,000 miles. I honestly wasn’t planning on doing it until 90,000 miles until researching it today. I’ve got 78k on the original fluid, so I drained and refilled with ~5qts of Mercon LV. I’m apprehensive to say it worked, but the symptoms are all but gone. Still a faint shudder between gear changes but nothing like it was yesterday. I’ll let it sit over night and see what it’s like tomorrow, but so far so good. Maybe there was so much condensation build up in the case after basically a year of sitting that it contaminated the fluid? Maybe a fluid exchange was just long overdue. I’ll update again tomorrow but thanks for the input.

30k is probably overkill. Pull the terminals on your battery. Let it sit for 20 minutes and reconnect. Let it relearn.

So after reading more about the 6f55, the overwhelming recommendation is that the fluid change interval be 30,000 miles. I honestly wasn’t planning on doing it until 90,000 miles until researching it today. I’ve got 78k on the original fluid, so I drained and refilled with ~5qts of Mercon LV. I’m apprehensive to say it worked, but the symptoms are all but gone. Still a faint shudder between gear changes but nothing like it was yesterday. I’ll let it sit over night and see what it’s like tomorrow, but so far so good. Maybe there was so much condensation build up in the case after basically a year of sitting that it contaminated the fluid? Maybe a fluid exchange was just long overdue. I’ll update again tomorrow but thanks for the input.
The Manual says to change the fluid every 150K miles.

Peter

The Manual says to change the fluid every 150K miles.

Peter
The Transmission holds way more than five quarts so when you do a drain and fill it is not an exchange. Once a year I drain our 2014 and refill with Ford LV fluid. Rock Auto has it for quite a bit less $ than what you would pay at an auto parts store or Walmart. In your case I would drive it for a few days and do it again. Be sure it is warm when you drain it so the contaminents have a chance of being in suspoension.

Well this morning I disconnected the battery again for 20 minutes and did another “relearn” cycle. Not sure if this vehicle needed it but I did the typical OBD2 relearn procedure (let it idle for 2 minutes with no accessories on and then restart it with all accessories on at idle). Drove around town for a bit and tried to recreate the issue but couldn’t. There’s still a slight shudder between shifts, but the issue is all but gone. Also considering only 5 quarts of LV were changed of the total capacity I’m with “Big Dude” on doing another 5qt swap next weekend. When I say it’s a slight shudder I mean only I can tell it’s there because I’m looking for it.

Thank you for all the input. I’ll post back if the issue comes back but otherwise I’m gonna say this was a fluid contamination problem. 30,000 mile tranny fluid changes may be overkill, but I’m definitely on board with doing it once a year now. Easy lesson learned this time.

Back