2015 Ecoboost 4 Cylinder FWD Transmission Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ecoboost 4 Cylinder FWD Transmission Issues

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
My wife's 2015 Ecoboost 4 Cylinder Explorer has been having some very troubling issues with the transmission. It has about 4,9xx miles on it currently.

The problem: the transmission has many issues, such as slamming into reverse. It also slams into gear when completing a small downshift. The primary problem is a very rough 2-3 gearshift at moderate speed/acceleration.

I have taken her car in twice, and the transmission has been reflashed. It does not appear that there have been any TSBs completed. The most recent fix was a "BCE Module Reprogram." The dealer said that the transmission needs 500 miles to "learn" how to shift again. We have only driven it for a couple days, but the problems are the same.

I have looked into this problem and have read other threads such as:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=415975

My questions: It seems as though other people have had this problem, but the problems were noted some time ago. Shouldn't this problem have been resolved before delivering 2015s?

Is this as simple as them completing TSB 13-3-18?

Does the dealer I am going to just not know how to fix this problem?

This is very concerning, as this problem is obnoxious, and the car is essentially brand new.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! We absolutely LOVE the car otherwise, but this is a big problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The link you posted does not work. If it is for TSB 13-8-18 then this should so the trick; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3246051&postcount=7

If you don't feel comfortable with your current dealer, you can always seek out another authorized Ford dealership. You may also want to the Ford rep on this forum via PM (Private Message). You can use this link to contact either Tricia or Crystal; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Thank you. I will contact Crystal.

Does anybody have any similar experiences or any experience with that TSB?

Your dealer would be able to pull up all TSBs that pertain to your vehicle. They should be checking them but who knows. The one you listed does not pertain to your vehicle.

Got the car back today. The valve body was replaced. Everything seems okay. I will report back in a week or so.

Well, the gremlins are back. It is certainly better, but I am tearing my hair out here.

Does anyone have any idea why it would drive fine for a day or two and then start acting up again???

I am taking the car back in tomorrow. They will be taking the transmission apart and analyzing it.

Got a brand new transmission. Everything is in working order now.

Hashing up this thread. Car went back for a fifth time because the car would slam into gear when downshifting between 60 and 80 mph. I thought it was fixed, and the same problem is back again. This will be trip number 6 to the dealer for the same issues.

Can anyone think of a reason this would happen more on road trips as opposed to normal highway driving?

Back