2015 Explorer Transmission sticks in low gear after sudden deceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Transmission sticks in low gear after sudden deceleration

MadCarDisease

Reaction score
City, State
San Mateo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 For PIU
I have a 2015 Police Interceptor Utility with 3.7 AWD, but I do not think my issue is unique to the PIU. If I am driving down the freeway at 60mph and the traffic suddenly stops--- I slam on the brakes and tranny downshifts (as designed), but then stays in the lower gear, bouncing off the limiter and the transmissiion refuses to upshift when the traffic speeds up again. The transmission shifts perfectly fine on moderate acceleration of deceleration, but this "stuck in low gear" condition only happens when I come to a sudden stop, or brake hard. I was able to get things back to normal by depressing the overdrive switch on the shift column once, pulling over and restarting the car another time, and I did get a flashing check engine light once. My OBD2 reader did not register any codes. I do not think the fault is with the infamous ADFSO (I searched the forum) because I do not sense the fuel shutting off.

Are there some known solenoid / gyroscope / mechanical issues with this , or where else should I look? I have not been the dealer yet. My PIU does have different programming, including shift points. It does have an extra transmission cooler, but this behavior could be otherwise generic (Mods: feel free to move thread, if I am wrong).

Thanks in advance for any hints.
Luke, in northern California

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Luke, I don't recall a similar problem being reported here before. As for the "overdrive switch on the shift column", is that a PIU only item?

Peter

Hi Luke, I don't recall a similar problem being reported here before. As for the "overdrive switch on the shift column", is that a PIU only item?

Peter
Yes, the regular Explorer has a shifter in the center console. Police version has the shifter on the steering column, along with the low gear selector at the end of the stalk. Thank you for the feedback. I will make an appointment at the dealer, but was wandering if anyone had encountered this issue here.

Yes, the regular Explorer has a shifter in the center console. Police version has the shifter on the steering column, along with the low gear selector at the end of the stalk. Thank you for the feedback. I will make an appointment at the dealer, but was wandering if anyone had encountered this issue here.
My 2015 PIU has done everything you have mentioned. I added 1 quart of transmission fluid and all is well. My level was a full quart low. Just remember to check your level with the engine at running temp and try not to burn yourself in the process as the stick is in a most inconvenient location! Hope this helps and sorry for the late reply, I have been away from this incredible site for a while.

My 2015 PIU has done everything you have mentioned. I added 1 quart of transmission fluid and all is well. My level was a full quart low. Just remember to check your level with the engine at running temp and try not to burn yourself in the process as the stick is in a most inconvenient location! Hope this helps and sorry for the late reply, I have been away from this incredible site for a while.
Thank you. I will give this a try. Finding level ground in San Francisco is not easy!

The primary reason for transmission fluid to be low is leakage.

Peter

The primary reason for transmission fluid to be low is leakage.

Peter
Thanks for the input! My vehicle has no leaks that I can see by looking under the beast. I believe the last time the transmission fluid was serviced must have been a Friday. I will keep an eye on things just to be sure. No recurring problems so far after topping it off. Take care and enjoy!

I have this same problem and can’t seem to get it solved. Anyone get any other info in this

I still figure there is a chance this is Pursuit Mode kicking in?
One feature you will hopefully never encounter is Pursuit Mode, which automatically switches the transmission from normal, fuel-saving mode to Pursuit Mode when it detects aggressive driving situations. In Pursuit Mode, "the upshift and downshift performance of the transmission is optimized for aggressive driving, returning to fuel-save mode when it senses the aggressive driving is complete," Ford said.

Don’t think that’s my issue. When I come to very hard sudden stop engine revs high but vehicle doesn’t seem to want to move when I hit the gas. Otherwise drives and shifts perfect

I have a 2012 XLT and I have also had the shift issue not in low gear but from 3rd to 4th gear. I just think its a flaw in the transmission, Ford could never solve it but recently I went to get a tune-up and after it stopped for months. The transmission is supposed to adapt to your driving habits and adapts the shifting of the gears to that. It's annoying but otherwise drives great.

I have a 2012 XLT and I have also had the shift issue not in low gear but from 3rd to 4th gear. I just think its a flaw in the transmission, Ford could never solve it but recently I went to get a tune-up and after it stopped for months. The transmission is supposed to adapt to your driving habits and adapts the shifting of the gears to that. It's annoying but otherwise drives great.
Have you attempted to completely drain and fill the transmission fluid? If it has never been changed or has not been changed in a while, there is a chance the transmission could act flukey as a result. Just something to potentially think about as well. (I know this may be entirely separate from the Pursuit Mode shifting.)

Back