2015 Explorer XLT, No low speed fan with AC on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer XLT, No low speed fan with AC on

Wesley Stout

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT 4WD
We purchased a 2015 Explorer a few months ago. The cooling fans only work on high when the AC compressor is engaged. I believe low speed fans should come on when the AC compressor is engaged. That seems to be the activity on other vehicles and my F150 also. I can command the high speed fans to come on with Forscan, but not the low. I can go straight to the relay and make the low speed fan work. I am guessing there is a problem with whatever sends the signal to the fans or a switch on the AC etc. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and might have some pointers. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Wesley.:wave:
Have you tried adjusting the fan speed? Do you have the "Auto" setting on your Climate Control?

Peter

I am referring to the radiator condenser cooling fans under the hood. And thank you for the welcome to the forum have already found a lot of helpful info here.

I am referring to the radiator condenser cooling fans under the hood. And thank you for the welcome to the forum have already found a lot of helpful info here.
And my apologies should have included more detail in the first post, this is causing AC issues when idling or in slow traffic.

What kind of issues are you having with your a/c? I've never paid much attention but I think my fans have been on at low speed with the a/c on. And then of course they've gone to high speed with a/c on and in hot weather, idling etc..

Poor performance when idling, or in slow traffic until the high speed fans kick in. As far as I know the expected behavior should be that the low speed fan is on when the compressor clutch engages, then the high speed when the system reaches some specified pressure. I have put gauges on the vehicle and it appears without the low speed fans running it is jumping to a high pressure quicker than it should especially when warm outside. AC works fine when on the highway say above 30-40 mph. I can force the low speed to work at the relays, but I think my next course of action is what actually controls the cooling fans. I think on these it is a signal from the ECM not the stand alone controller that many vehicles had at one time on the fans, at least I can not locate one. My googling has not shown me much about how these fans work, so I'm guessing their generally aren't that many issues with them and I'm "lucky" :)

I have my system set to "Auto" so I don't pay too much attention to it. As far as I know the A/C is strictly temperature controlled. When the interior is hot, the fans come on at high speed until the interior temperature drops. As the interior cools, the fans change to a lower speed. My residencial A/C works the same way.

Peter

Peter, I am not having issues with the blower motor fan on the interior. The radiator/condenser fan is a two speed system and is not working on low speed, under the hood.

Peter, I am not having issues with the blower motor fan on the interior. The radiator/condenser fan is a two speed system and is not working on low speed, under the hood.
Okay, I understand now. Thanks.

I found the solution. It was an oversight on my part. Some of the relays have five terminals most have four. The relay that is for the low speed and also high speed of one fan had been swapped with another relay that had only four terminals. Bad thing was when I was checking the fans I had to jump the terminal that the relay was using to make the fan work and just did not make the connection. Anyway, low speed cooling fan is now working when the compressor clutch engages as it should now.

I found the solution. It was an oversight on my part. Some of the relays have five terminals most have four. The relay that is for the low speed and also high speed of one fan had been swapped with another relay that had only four terminals. Bad thing was when I was checking the fans I had to jump the terminal that the relay was using to make the fan work and just did not make the connection. Anyway, low speed cooling fan is now working when the compressor clutch engages as it should now.

Hi Wesley, I think we have almost if not the same issue. I don't understand how the fans work but i have a feeling something is not right. The smaller condenser/radiator fan does not work for long before it stops (though it will come up later)and the one on the driver side would now increase its speed. my expectation is that the one on the passenger side will keep working as long as the AC is on but i am not sure about the mechanics.

Secondly is there any relationship between radiator fan and my ambient temperature?

...........Secondly is there any relationship between radiator fan and my ambient temperature?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If by "ambient temperature" the outside air, then no, there is no connection. The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor is located behind the front bumper. Check this thread and look for C132 in the diagram. Solved - Ambient Air Temperature Location

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If by "ambient temperature" the outside air, then no, there is no connection. The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor is located behind the front bumper. Check this thread and look for C132 in the diagram. Solved - Ambient Air Temperature Location

Peter
Thanks for welcoming me. I have tried locating the sensor all to no avail. I guess its been moved because the bumper was replaced when it had an accident.
The ambient temperature could be as high as 158 degree Fahrenheit if I am in traffic or not moving fast enough.

I don't know if anyone has an idea what this is, I noticed its just there right in between the radiator fan and the engine.

IMG_20191221_114146_resized_20191224_072716890.jpg

IMG_20191221_114128_resized_20191224_072715984.jpg

IMG_20191221_114115_resized_20191224_072716505.jpg

Thanks for welcoming me. I have tried locating the sensor all to no avail. I guess its been moved because the bumper was replaced when it had an accident.
The ambient temperature could be as high as 158 degree Fahrenheit if I am in traffic or not moving fast enough.

I don't know if anyone has an idea what this is, I noticed its just there right in between the radiator fan and the engine.
If it is indeed the ambient air temperature sensor then this may give you some idea of approximately where it should be mounted.
1662403373358.png

Peter

Back