2016-2019 Roof Rail/Cargo Bar Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016-2019 Roof Rail/Cargo Bar Install

pdxgeek

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 PIU EB
16 Focus RS
I looked around, and saw only a 2011-2015 post about this.

I have ordered all the pieces to install roof rails on my 16 PIU. Didnt think I would want them, but definitely want to throw my cargo box on the roof.

The rails/bars/hardware arrive on Friday, and I will document the install in this thread. :) Should hopefully be straight forward. Feel free to throw any questions my way for things to look out for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not positive, but I believe the PIU would be restricted to the same weight on the crossbars as the retail which is 100 lbs without a moonroof.

Peter

Not too worried about that. Just planning on a cargo box for camping chairs/tents/etc.

PDX, I'm interested in any photos and info about the mounting points front and rear. I don't want to peel up the rubber strips if I don't have to. I want to make a cross piece that I can mount a HF antenna on. These are usually pretty big (tall) and need a stout mounting plate. I don't want to drill any more holes in my roof since I have four antennas up there now. Thanks

Making a wild guess that you don't park in the garage. I used a 'rubber ducky' VHF/UHF antenna in place of my regular Diamond one so I could use my garage.

Peter

Hope I'm not jacking the thread. PeterK, I have 3 quarter wave antennas 900, UHF, VHF and one "orange juice can" UHF antenna. All clear my garage at home but the VHF scrapes in parking decks.

Maybe we should start an Antennas thread?

PDX, I'm interested in any photos and info about the mounting points front and rear. I don't want to peel up the rubber strips if I don't have to. I want to make a cross piece that I can mount a HF antenna on. These are usually pretty big (tall) and need a stout mounting plate. I don't want to drill any more holes in my roof since I have four antennas up there now. Thanks

I think no matter what,the channel trim has to be removed since the rails are two pieces: the bottom piece that runs along(and in, I believe) the channel, and gets bolted in, and the long cap that sits over that base piece that hides the mounting spots.

I see a lot of vehicles with antennas mounted to front and rear bumpers, rear spare tire mounts, front and rear hitch receivers, push bars, and so on.

As far as the rest of the thread, I used to use roof boxes more in the past, but have moved away form them in favor of hitch carriers. Although a bit smaller, they can carry more weight, are easier to access (no climbing), and don't hit fuel economy much, if at all.

So, along with weather, I ran into a snag. It appears the rubber strips are a long single piece. My hope is that the roof rail mounting spots are under there, but I have a sinking feeling the interceptor molding will be ruined in the process of checking if thats true (assuming its held in by double sided tape or something similar). Anyone have any info about how the interceptor rail is attached to the body on the 16-19 models?

I was wondering what happened to your project? Like you, I'm hesitant to pull off that rubber strip to see whats under it. That's why I was interested in your project. I'm sure there is a brave soul who has done this and maybe has some pictures to share. Good luck.

There are threads, I believe, in the Modified section about roof rail removals, with pictures. I don't know if retail and PIU have the same structure.

Peter

There are threads, I believe, in the Modified section about roof rail removals, with pictures. I don't know if retail and PIU have the same structure.

Peter

There are threads about 2011-2015 models. Nothing about the 16-19 style (slightly different) ones unfortunately with adding a roof rack, only removing. I'm hesitant to be a guinea pig, since i know the replacement part is expensive. Might need to go find a wrecked 16-19 PIU somewhere, but also why I am asking here, since this sub-forum is WAY more likely to have access to one than me. :)

Back