2016 Explorer Flush Roof Rails - flush this crappy "design" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Flush Roof Rails - flush this crappy "design"

ExplorerCT4

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 Frod Explorer
2016 roof rails are flush mounted for cleaner look and quieter wind noise. Ford needs to FLUSH this crappy design as how are you supposed to tie down things to the rails if there are no openings? It's a sport UTILITY vehicle!!! Yes I know that you can use the cross rails but that isn't always adequate with longer or unique items. Anyone experience this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These rails are made to work with Thule. Search their site for tie down brackets.

They give you 4 tie down bolts that screw on the inside of the rails that you use to tie things down. I found my tie down screws in a bag that was in the glove box. I kinda like the new design.

They give you 4 tie down bolts that screw on the inside of the rails that you use to tie things down. I found my tie down screws in a bag that was in the glove box. I kinda like the new design.

Same here. Didn't the old design leak as well?

Thank you. I had no idea what the bolts were intended for until I read your post.

20151107_171903.jpg

20151107_171851.jpg

20151107_171940.jpg

20151107_171917.jpg

Please excuse the dirty car. Rained yesterday.

Back