2016 owners-How are the headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 owners-How are the headlights?

GoogleAndroid

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Lincoln Town Car
In my experience, projector headlights are a lot better than reflectors, so I find it odd that they have reverted to reflectors for 2016, but it is probably made up for by being LED instead of halogen. Anyone that owns a 2016, what do you think of the headlights? How is their light pattern? Are they bright? If anyone would be kind enough to post a picture of the light output at night, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the 16 on an overnight test drive to actually check out the lights. Compared to my X5 with xenons I actually found the light dispersion comparable. The one major difference was definitely in the colour. The leds gave off a much purer white colour which I was very impressed with. Never had a chance to take photos or compare side by side to see if one overpowered the other. Perhaps on the next drive I will.

That's good to hear that the OEM LED lowbeams are good as the halogen OEM lights on the 11-15's were awful (HIDs good)

having come from 3 different cars with HID's - 2 of which I retrofited my self.

I love the 2016's LED lows. and I can tell you why the reflector - look at the way it's situated.

as such when they decide to follow on with active beams - which I's surprised it doesn't have that now - the reflector can be put on a motor pivot and swing some 20 degree arc while leaving the light module in place. thus less to move, quick response - and constant light.

it has plenty of potential.

color and consistency is great - only flaw - and I know they can't help themselves - the lack of color match on the fogs and highs. the fogs I understand as bright clean white fogs - don't work well in fog. they should be yellow

the highs - upsets me a bit but they have to trim costs where they can - I can easily replace the bulbs if it bothers me enough.

I am impressed. Nice even pattern. Jim

Have you looked into LED options for the high beams (or anyone else know of anything that is a quick plug and play option that will provide good light output for high beams and match up with the low beams?)

Definitely in favor of the LED fogs I have seen a few people do mods with. Definitely like the low beam LEDs as well. So would be nice to know if there is a high beam solution.

I've cheked a company I've dealt with called Diode Dynamics - they sell some decent kit.

my guy there wanted me to wait it out a bit so they'd test fit somethings - as there might be some other changes in the 2016 setup.

for the highs - I'm interested. but for the fogs - I think I might want a legit yellow (3000K, or 3500K) bulbs. because that's what fogs should be.

Back