2017 Ford Explorer sport turbo problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Ford Explorer sport turbo problems

Jose9735128

Reaction score
City, State
Estes park, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer Sport
I got a 2017 Ford Explorer sport 3.5 ecoboost. It’s got 51k on it. Recently notice a sound while downspooling after the engine gets turned off at first it started just like a turbo down spooling now it’s downspooling but sounds like the bearing is going bad. It’s in the shop right now should be covered under powertrain warranty. But was wondering

anyone else had any problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the cooling fan. There is a warranty extension for the Explorer Cooling Fans.

I believe the extended warranty for the cooling fans only covers the relay (which causes the fan to run even after shutting the car off resulting in a dead battery)

2016 Explorer Cooling Fan Noise (this is not a TSB but for dealer info only)

Jul 14 2016 3400 - 2016 Explorer Built On Or Before 5/8/2016 - Cooling Fan Noise

Some 2016 Explorer vehicles built on or before 5/8/2016 may exhibit a noise from the electric cooling fans, most noticeable right after the engine is turned off as they spin down to a stop. If the noise can be pinpointed to the cooling fan motor, replace the cooling fan assembly with applicable updated service parts.DA8Z-8C607-B replaced DA8Z-8C607-A, DG1Z-8C607-E replaced DG1Z-8C607-D, DG1Z-8C607-F replaced DG1Z-8C607-A, DB5Z-8C607-D replaced DB5Z-8C607-C. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM,) Section 303-03. Use available Service labor times in section 08.

Don't think thats the fans... They use small ball bearings. Also don't hear the hum that fans produce when slowing down. That sounds like some serious metal on metal. Definitely could be a turbo. Could also be the AC compressor clutch bearing maybe? Spray light water and see if sounds pitch

Hard to tell.
I've heard cooling fans sound like that before.
How long has it been doing that?

My thought is if it was one of the turbos, I would expect it to seize up fairly quick.
Based on that sound, a turbo spinning at 50k-100k rpm would not last long.

My 2016 Sport needs the timing chain and guides change. It makes a ball bearing sound at idle.

Back