2017 Platinum Transmission issue at 108K miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Platinum Transmission issue at 108K miles

Shebailey

Reaction score
City, State
Mercersburg, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Platin
I’m looking for help! I have a 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum under ESP extended warranty to 150K miles that is having transmission issues. Initially the Explorer would not engage into drive after backing out of a driveway but I was able to get it to go into drive by putting it into park and then going to drive. Then about 1 mile later, I tried to pull into an intersection with oncoming cross traffic in the distance and had trouble with the car getting me through the intersection. The whole car was shuddering and lurching but would only go up to 8 miles an hour. I pulled over after I got through the intersection and my husband suggested using the sport mode paddle shifters to manually shift through the gears which worked flawlessly and I immediately drove it to the local dealership.
The dealership was unable to duplicate the problem but believed that I may have hit an air pocket in the transmission fluid since it was about 1/2 quart too low. I picked it up from the dealership but 12 miles later, the car wouldn’t shift out of first gear. The tachometer was revving way up since the transmission wouldn’t automatically shift. I again tried to put it into sport mode but the car this time wouldn’t allow me to go into the shift mode. The “S” wouldn’t even light up on the dash but every other option would. I had it towed into the dealership (another long story because Ford Roadside Assist couldn’t find my service contract and would not dispatch a tow truck) and it has been there ever since. Today is day 29 and they have not been able to duplicate the issue to even attempt to fix it but I took a video of it not wanting to shift and not going into the sport mode. I do not even have a rental car because one was not available for 3 days and I’m currently using an extra vehicle in our household. Plus, the ESP plan only allows for a rental car for 10 days so I decided not to hassle with it at this time. Any recommendations? I have been in contact with Ford customer service but found out today that my phone# was keyed in incorrectly when I spoke with a Truck supervisor but he could not help me since this is a SUV. He suggested for me to have it towed at my cost to another dealership. He says that my case manager should be calling me today or tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath because nothing has gone smoothly up to now. I’m so frustrated and have lost faith in Ford and the ESP plan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You stated that the dealership was not able to duplicate the problem but do you know if they scanned for trouble codes? It would seem to me that with the issues you were having that it would not be too difficult to reproduce the problem. I wouldn't think that being low 1/2 a quart would cause this as the transmission (6F55) holds 11.6 quarts. If they haven't been able to duplicate the problem then they won't be able to fix it since it would be difficult to say what the issue is. As for towing it to another dealership, I would suggest contacting them first to see how long it would be before they can actually look at it. No sense having it sit there.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You stated that the dealership was not able to duplicate the problem but do you know if they scanned for trouble codes? It would seem to me that with the issues you were having that it would not be too difficult to reproduce the problem. I wouldn't think that being low 1/2 a quart would cause this as the transmission (6F55) holds 11.6 quarts. If they haven't been able to duplicate the problem then they won't be able to fix it since it would be difficult to say what the issue is. As for towing it to another dealership, I would suggest contacting them first to see how long it would be before they can actually look at it. No sense having it sit there.

Peter
Peter,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the car is not triggering any codes. I have reached out to another dealership as well and am awaiting a return call since I had to leave a message. I wish I could attach my video but i think that I can only attach pictures.

You should be able to attach a video or a link to it although I've never done it.

Peter

Host it on youtube.

I would upload it to YouTube and also tag the dealership so people can see what they are doing to you. It sounds like a serious issue especially if a car gets towed to the dealership because it won't drive and then they say it drives fine.

Take video of the invoice and paperwork so there is a trail when the time comes to replace transmission. Sounds like the torque converter is toasted and is a common issue on higher mileage cars. Definitely want to get that fixed under warranty.

I would upload it to YouTube and also tag the dealership so people can see what they are doing to you. It sounds like a serious issue especially if a car gets towed to the dealership because it won't drive and then they say it drives fine.
I'm guessing that when the tech tried driving it, it did drive without issues. So without any codes and the fact it was driving fine, what is a tech supposed to do? Where to start? Remember that troubleshooting is going to cost $$ and without the issue occurring at the time chances are nothing would be found.

Peter

Without seeing the technical details of the initial diagnosis/invoice I can't speculate on what tech found or didn't find etc. Based on what the OP was describing though it sounds like a mechanical issue with the transmission and wont necessarily throw a code. When gear is engaged and engine revs like its in neutral usually means the torque converter burned up which is a common Ford failure. They may need to get the car up to certain temperature to reproduce the issue.

Let us know what they document/find while troubleshooting

I’m looking for help! I have a 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum under ESP extended warranty to 150K miles that is having transmission issues. Initially the Explorer would not engage into drive after backing out of a driveway but I was able to get it to go into drive by putting it into park and then going to drive. Then about 1 mile later, I tried to pull into an intersection with oncoming cross traffic in the distance and had trouble with the car getting me through the intersection. The whole car was shuddering and lurching but would only go up to 8 miles an hour. I pulled over after I got through the intersection and my husband suggested using the sport mode paddle shifters to manually shift through the gears which worked flawlessly and I immediately drove it to the local dealership.
The dealership was unable to duplicate the problem but believed that I may have hit an air pocket in the transmission fluid since it was about 1/2 quart too low. I picked it up from the dealership but 12 miles later, the car wouldn’t shift out of first gear. The tachometer was revving way up since the transmission wouldn’t automatically shift. I again tried to put it into sport mode but the car this time wouldn’t allow me to go into the shift mode. The “S” wouldn’t even light up on the dash but every other option would. I had it towed into the dealership (another long story because Ford Roadside Assist couldn’t find my service contract and would not dispatch a tow truck) and it has been there ever since. Today is day 29 and they have not been able to duplicate the issue to even attempt to fix it but I took a video of it not wanting to shift and not going into the sport mode. I do not even have a rental car because one was not available for 3 days and I’m currently using an extra vehicle in our household. Plus, the ESP plan only allows for a rental car for 10 days so I decided not to hassle with it at this time. Any recommendations? I have been in contact with Ford customer service but found out today that my phone# was keyed in incorrectly when I spoke with a Truck supervisor but he could not help me since this is a SUV. He suggested for me to have it towed at my cost to another dealership. He says that my case manager should be calling me today or tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath because nothing has gone smoothly up to now. I’m so frustrated and have lost faith in Ford and the ESP plan.
You should be able to attach a video or a link to it although I've never done it.

Peter

Take video of the invoice and paperwork so there is a trail when the time comes to replace transmission. Sounds like the torque converter is toasted and is a common issue on higher mileage cars. Definitely want to get that fixed under warranty.

Given no codes recorded, I too am going with a mechanical issue.

Keep us posted

From my 24 years working in new car dealerships service departments the hardest problems to find are intermittent ones.

From my 24 years working in new car dealerships service departments the hardest problems to find are intermittent ones.
I think that would also apply to any item experiencing issues, mores so these days with all the electronics involved in so many products.

Peter

Back