2018 Toe Link problem not yet covered by 20S62 Ford Recall | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Toe Link problem not yet covered by 20S62 Ford Recall

ExplorerSport2018

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer Sport
Looking for some advice or anyone else with similar issues that I’m having with my 2018 Explorer Sport. My passenger side(rear) toe link is creaking fairly loudly when driving. You can clearly hear the noise when driving the car from inside and outside the vehicle. There have been previous recalls for Explorer toe links. I believe the latest one is 20S62-supplement #3. In addition to replacing both Left and Right toe links, this latest recall includes a requirement for Ford service to inspect the outboard side of the toe links where they connect to the whee knuckle. There’s a bushing pressed into this knuckle with a bolt and nut that pass through this bushing connecting the knuckle to the toe link. This bushing can be susceptible to corrosion and can seize up in “high corrosion/salt belt” States and Provinces.

My 2018 Explorer is not captured in this 20S62 recall however I’m seeing the exact issues that are described in the recall. Today I removed the toe link bolt from the wheel knuckle and tested the bushing in the knuckle by torquing it to 111ft-lbs then trying to rotate it with 11ft-lbs or less. The bushing is completely seized. Pictures are attached with the toe link attached and the removed from the knuckle. It will not rotate or move whatsoever. The bushing is seized on the angle shown in the pictures. Also, the bushings on both sides are like this of the vehicle are like this.
Curious if anyone else with a 2018 or even 2019 Explorer have seen this same issue. I called Ford Canada and went to a local dealer in Toronto and both told me the same thing in that if it’s not captured in the recall, then I’m out of luck.

85A1BC2D-8513-454D-8C5B-66B3D7D61154.jpeg 526630A6-C222-4EBD-B049-1E7585C33C24.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Check out the linked document; Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall
Perhaps you should submit a report to Transport Canada.and possibly the NHTSA is the U.S.
Vehicle owners who believe a safety-related defect is affecting their vehicle should report the problem to Transport Canada. This can be done by completing Transport Canada's Defect Complaint Form or by calling 1-800-333-0510.

Peter

Back