2018 Vaccum like Sound Driver side dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Vaccum like Sound Driver side dash

DWertz

Reaction score
City, State
Unityville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT Sport
So my new to my 2018 Explorer with 35k started making this odd noise. Around the driver side dash at higher rpm and right around the upshot I hear what I can best describe is a vaccum/ sucking like noise. I cannot pinpoint it. Sounds like the driver side vent on the dash area. I have a video but in that video it sounds more like TV static. Any ideas what this could be? For some reason my 13 second video says its to large to upload

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It is hard to say exactly what it could be without hearing it. Have you tried making a youtube video and posting a link to it? Is it only there when you are driving? Does it seem to be speed-dependent? Could it be the driver's side 'A' pillar or possibly the cowl along the bottom of the windshield? Those two items have been known to create a 'buzzing' type noise. These things can be difficult to pinpoint.

Peter

If it's the cowl gasket, you'd probably see it sticking up in a spot and a test would be taping it down.

Do you still have the noise with the HVAC system off? Any check engine lights? If a vac leak, a scan tool capable of live data should show a rich, long term fuel trim #.

If it's the cowl gasket, you'd probably see it sticking up in a spot and a test would be taping it down.

Do you still have the noise with the HVAC system off? Any check engine lights? If a vac leak, a scan tool capable of live data should show a rich, long term fuel trim #.
No check engine lights, does it with or without HVAC. I don't see anything out of place as far as the cowl pc you are referring to. I am trying to resize the clip I have so that I can post it. No CEL and runs perfect. I also hear what sounds like an object rattling in the same area, but not all the time just on occasion.

Imgur offers anonymous (no account signup needed) videos up to 60 seconds long, just drag it into the browser there and post the URL link to it here:

Imgur Upload

Otherwise, rattling does seem likely to be a blend door or actuator.

Imgur offers anonymous (no account signup needed) videos up to 60 seconds long, just drag it into the browser there and post the URL link to it here:

So my new to my 2018 Explorer with 35k started making this odd noise. Around the driver side dash at higher rpm and right around the upshot I hear what I can best describe is a vaccum/ sucking like noise. I cannot pinpoint it. Sounds like the driver side vent on the dash area. I have a video but in that video it sounds more like TV static. Any ideas what this could be? For some reason my 13 second video says its to large to upload
Here is the attachement

I don't know if it is just my computer but I see the picture but no ability to hear sound.

Peter

I don't know if it is just my computer but I see the picture but no ability to hear sound.

Peter
Dang. I uploaded without sound LMAO. Let me do this one more time

I couldn't ID it but best guess is a climate control sensor fan, something.... see these posts and the rest of this topic and the other linked in it:

Back