2019 XLT Outside rattle, Top left driver side door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 XLT Outside rattle, Top left driver side door

Grey 1

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 XLT
Hello, i have 18k miles 2019 XLT. This rattling sound started on my 10k miles. It occur on bumpy/ uneven roads. I tried to dampen all plastic end that i think is causing this sound by putting foam and rubbers. I am positive that the sound is not from the inside. I tried to drive it on an open window and door and i think the rattle is coming from the left A Pillar or the roof rack on top of the driver. Anyone having the same issue? TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The 'A' pillar was an issue on the earlier Explorers but so much on the later ones. The issue was mainly noticed at highway speeds. I don't recall any of those posts mentioning bumps or uneven roads. Check and see If the 'A' pillar is loose. If it is tight then that is not the issue. Do the same with the roof rail. Sounds can be very difficult to pinpoint.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The 'A' pillar was an issue on the earlier Explorers but so much on the later ones. The issue was mainly noticed at highway speeds. I don't recall any of those posts mentioning bumps or uneven roads. Check and see If the 'A' pillar is loose. If it is tight then that is not the issue. Do the same with the roof rail. Sounds can be very difficult to pinpoint.

Peter

Hello Peter

Do you know how i can get Ford Rep Crystal's email? I saw on the thread that she can help us to get help with dealerships for warranty fix. My Explorer is still under warranty, i guess the best way to have this rattle to be fixed is to bring it back to the dealership. I spent a lot of hours and miles trying to locate and fix this rattle but i can't seem to. I am now guessing that it can be a loose bolt or plastic in the roof rack. Anyways, i can't seem to enjoy driving with this anymore, the rattling is getting into my head everytime i drive this new car.

Thank you in advance!

Roof rails have been an issue. Check those.

Hello Peter

Do you know how i can get Ford Rep Crystal's email? I saw on the thread that she can help us to get help with dealerships for warranty fix. My Explorer is still under warranty, i guess the best way to have this rattle to be fixed is to bring it back to the dealership. I spent a lot of hours and miles trying to locate and fix this rattle but i can't seem to. I am now guessing that it can be a loose bolt or plastic in the roof rack. Anyways, i can't seem to enjoy driving with this anymore, the rattling is getting into my head everytime i drive this new car.

Thank you in advance!
The Ford reps haven't been here for about 3 years now. The contact info they left on all their posts was this;
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter

Roof rails have been an issue. Check those.
That’s what i’m thinking too. I have done a lot checking and taping on plastics that might cause this rattle but it just don’t disappear. I’m pretty sure the rattling noise is not inside the car. It is coming outside just over my head. I will check it tomorrow. Any idea on Roof rail issues and how it was fixed? TIA!

The outside piece comes loose. If you can easily can easily pull it up, it will need to be fixed.

Took my 16 XLT in at least three times for this issue. They eventually replaced both sides and all was good.

The outside piece comes loose. If you can easily can easily pull it up, it will need to be fixed.

Took my 16 XLT in at least three times for this issue. They eventually replaced both sides and all was good.
I believe that applied to the rear of the rails, not the front. At least that is what the pictures showed.

Peter

I believe that applied to the rear of the rails, not the front. At least that is what the pictures showed.

Peter

Mine were popping up in the front.

Back