2020 Platinum Keyless entry pad does not work unless you have the key with you | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Platinum Keyless entry pad does not work unless you have the key with you

Victory20

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer Plat
I just purchased my 2020 explorer yesterday, so still figuring things out. One thing that I notice isn’t working correctly is the keyless entry pad. It works great with the key in hand, but if I leave my key inside the vehicle or in the house out of range, the keypad doesn’t light up at all when touched, so it won’t allow me to use it to unlock the door. It only works if I have the key in hand. Anyone else have this issue? Am I overlooking something that can be changed in settings? Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not right, it should not require the key. I've used mine without the key, it works fine. I just tried mine again, no key works fine.
TBill

Not right, it should not require the key. I've used mine without the key, it works fine. I just tried mine again, no key works fine.
TBill
After coming back from a drive yesterday, I tried it again. Maybe a loose connection, because now it works half the time. Next time I go in for maintenance, I’ll have them fix it. Thanks!

After coming back from a drive yesterday, I tried it again. Maybe a loose connection, because now it works half the time. Next time I go in for maintenance, I’ll have them fix it. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Please report back after the dealer visit. Thanks.

Peter

If your battery is low after sitting, the computer turns the keypad off I believe.

If your battery is low after sitting, the computer turns the keypad off I believe.
I've experienced that. Also, my warning chimes revert to the Explorer ones from the Aviator's 'symphonic' ones. Because the 'lock' button is on the Securicode pad, I needed to use the fob to lock/unlock the doors. Once that battery was charged, everything returned to normal.

Peter

I've experienced that. Also, my warning chimes revert to the Explorer ones from the Aviator's 'symphonic' ones. Because the 'lock' button is on the Securicode pad, I needed to use the fob to lock/unlock the doors. Once that battery was charged, everything returned to normal.

Peter
My 2013 Lincoln MKZ used to change from softer chimes through the audio system to harsher sounding chimes from behind the instrument panel. I never knew what caused the random intermittent change. Maybe it was the same reason. I just let it go for 5 years.

FYI, YMMV, etc. My experience: the dealer team may (or may not) know how to properly remove/evaluate/reinstall the keypad assembly; apparently, there may be some double-sided tape involved, and the door must be partially disassembled. Mine was replaced (dealer service department scratched it terribly, so had to replace on their nickel), but the replacement is not exactly positioned correctly and the black plastic cover has started to chip on the corners. The keypad assembly extended the full height of the driver's window....

I just purchased my 2020 explorer yesterday, so still figuring things out. One thing that I notice isn’t working correctly is the keyless entry pad. It works great with the key in hand, but if I leave my key inside the vehicle or in the house out of range, the keypad doesn’t light up at all when touched, so it won’t allow me to use it to unlock the door. It only works if I have the key in hand. Anyone else have this issue? Am I overlooking something that can be changed in settings? Thanks for any help!
My Platinum Explorer is now 2 yrs old and I tried to use the keypad today when I locked my keys in the car and it didn't light up so I could use it. I tapped it and tried it again once I was able to get my car unlocked and even with keys in hand it didn't work. I guess I will have to call the dealership and see why this is happened. Just wondering if you ever found any answer to this.

My Platinum Explorer is now 2 yrs old and I tried to use the keypad today when I locked my keys in the car and it didn't light up so I could use it. I tapped it and tried it again once I was able to get my car unlocked and even with keys in hand it didn't work. I guess I will have to call the dealership and see why this is happened. Just wondering if you ever found any answer to this.
The member you quoted was last seen here on April 5, 2021, so likely is no longer following.
Did you purposely lock your keys in the vehicle? I ask because normally the doors will not lock if a key is detected inside the vehicle.
BTW, the Securicode keypad should work whether or not you have the keys nearby.

Peter

The member you quoted was last seen here on April 5, 2021, so likely is no longer following.
Did you purposely lock your keys in the vehicle? I ask because normally the doors will not lock if a key is detected inside the vehicle.

Peter
I don't think I locked the doors when I got out unless I hit the lock accidentally.

Peter

I don't think I locked the doors when I got out unless I hit the lock accidentally.
I haven't tried it but with the 5th gen Explorer thr only way to lock your key in the vehicle is using the Securicode panel or a second keygob. This is to prevent accidently locking the key inside. If the key is inside the vehicle, the doors won't lock.

Peter

I haven't tried it but with the 5th gen Explorer thr only way to lock your key in the vehicle is using the Securicode panel or a second keygob. This is to prevent accidently locking the key inside. If the key is inside the vehicle, the doors won't lock.

Peter
Not in my case on the 2021 model. A couple of months ago, I was vacuuming out the back of my Explorer and when I hit the tailgate close button, I accidentally hit the lock button too. The tailgate closed and the doors were locked with the key fob still inside.

Not in my case on the 2021 model. A couple of months ago, I was vacuuming out the back of my Explorer and when I hit the tailgate close button, I accidentally hit the lock button too. The tailgate closed and the doors were locked with the key fob still inside.
I just tried various scenarios involving locking the key inside on my 2023 Aviator. None were successful unless I used the Securicode to lock the vehicle.
1. with the key inside I pressed the lock button on the driver's door armrest and closed the door. The vehicle beeped twice and the door unlocked.
2. with the liftgate open and the doors locked, I pressed the lock button on the 'gate' and the 'close' button. The liftgate stopped halfway and 2 beeps were heard.
3. with all doors unlocked, I pressed the lock and close button on the liftgate. The liftgate closed but the vehicle remained unlocked.
Either the 6th gen Explorer has changed from the 5th gen or there may be an issue with your system. From what I can recall, the Aviator responded the same way my 2017 Platinu, did.
In any case, it is a good idea to remember your Securicode code.

Peter

Back