• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer Base roof rack

thomaskane

Reaction score
City, State
Grove City, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer Base
I got a 2021 Explorer Base model last year (has the naked roof/no roof rails). Does anyone know if there is any way to add roof rails to this model without drilling. There are plastic covers running along the edges of the roof and was wondering if whatever is under them is anything potentially useful for this endeavor. The only option I found if I'm unable to add roof rails was on CarID (Malone product that runs straps through the inside of my car). This would work as I'm not looking to load a lot on top of my car. However I thought I'd run it by anyone here before purchasing these if they have any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Upvote 0

Welcome to the Forum Thomas. :wave:
I'm not sure what exactly 'not a lot' means but you are limited to 75 lb with a moonroof and 165 lb without one.
Here is another thread on this. Kayak Transport Options for 2020 Explorer Base With Bare Roof

Peter
Thanks for the reply. I'm just going to put a roof bag on top for transport the lighter stuff for camping (sleeping bags, clothes, etc....) and really just need something to anchor it to. I've searched all over and it seems the only option is a Malone VersaRail Roof Rack System. Guess I'll see how it goes once I order it. Take care.

Upvote 0

Ford has the parts available to install the factory rails. It is a no drill install but a bit pricey. Your best bet is if you can find someone to swap your parts for theirs. But that is pretty much hit and miss but I have seen it done. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Ford has the parts available to install the factory rails. It is a no drill install but a bit pricey. Your best bet is if you can find someone to swap your parts for theirs. But that is pretty much hit and miss but I have seen it done. Good luck.
So you are saying that the side rails aren't bolted on to the roof or that the plastic strips are and you can use the existing holes?

Upvote 0

So you are saying that the side rails aren't bolted on to the roof or that the plastic strips are and you can use the existing holes?
They are bolted but use the same holes you're strips do. So they can be swapped with no drilling. I've seen posts where people have done that.

Upvote 0

you cant also get roofbags that are for naked roofs. they tie through doors.

Upvote 0

Back