• Register Today It's free!

2022 Hood Holding Water

nbarney

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer XLT
Does anyone else's hood hold water after rains? Like the water just sits in that middle part?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone else's hood hold water after rains? Like the water just sits in that middle part?
This something I noticed back in December 2019, after the rain, when my 2020 was brand new. I started backing into my driveway to avoid this. One of many things the designers and engineers didn't really test or study.

20191214_092332.jpg

20191213_112947.jpg

If your hood is holding water then it could be that you are not parked on level ground and the water is not able to run off the front of the hood. These vehicles are built so that the back end sits slightly higher than the front so the hood should have a very gentle slope downwards.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
See my reply to hbalek above.

Peter

This something I noticed back in December 2019, after the rain, when my 2020 was brand new. I started backing into my driveway to avoid this. One of may things the designers and engineers didn't really test or study.

View attachment 443572

View attachment 443573
Mine does it if I don't park it nose-down. Not a big deal, unless it doesn't get moved often. The water blows off after a few minutes on the road. Ford has been big in aerodynamics since the first Taurus. This is probably the reason for the shape of the hood.

This topic is so old and DUH right now LMAO! This was noted, accepted and moved on back in December 2019! Pre-COVID this was considered a big problem! LOL The other design flaw is the big gap between the top edge of the hood and the windshield, where snow and other debris collects under the windshield wipers. The 2024 looks like the same hood to me:

1688488914305.png

This something I noticed back in December 2019, after the rain, when my 2020 was brand new. I started backing into my driveway to avoid this. One of many things the designers and engineers didn't really test or study.

View attachment 443572

View attachment 443573
Thank You. My husband says its no bug deal but it just bothers me for some reason!?!?

This topic is so old and DUH right now LMAO! This was noted, accepted and moved on back in December 2019! Pre-COVID this was considered a big problem! LOL The other design flaw is the big gap between the top edge of the hood and the windshield, where snow and other debris collects under the windshield wipers. The 2024 looks like the same hood to me:

View attachment 443576
All the more reason to get an Aviator
1688562556372.png

Despite all these issues, after almost 4 years and 40K miles I still love my ST and don't regret the purchase!
OH, I get it, I am by no means a Ford fan (mainly MOPAR...), this is only my 2nd, my first was back in 1996, I got a 1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (I still miss that, dang nice driving car)
But I've always know people with them, and don't hate on them. If I could recline my damned drivers seat, I could go back to loving this beast.

Those STs are nice, I agree, I watched a lot of reviews/tests on them. But I'm a gadget freak, and love the toys, plus I started off looking to switch from my Jeep Grand Cherokee L to a PHEV, and was planning on getting a Volvo XC90, but fell in love with the Aviator instead (and its real drivetrain)

Those STs are nice, I agree, I watched a lot of reviews/tests on them. But I'm a gadget freak, and love the toys, plus I started off looking to switch from my Jeep Grand Cherokee L to a PHEV, and was planning on getting a Volvo XC90, but fell in love with the Aviator instead (and its real drivetrain)
My biggest complaint about the ST is the lack of interior colour choices. Not at all a fan of black.

Peter

My biggest complaint about the ST is the lack of interior colour choices. Not at all a fan of black.

Peter
I agree, I like choices. I have the Roast/Black interior, and love it, and I was surprised how many interior choices were on the Aviator, then the Black Labels have even more. And people that live out west, like my parents in Las Vegas, try hard to find cars with light interiors, which is very rare now.

I agree, I like choices. I have the Roast/Black interior, and love it, and I was surprised how many interior choices were on the Aviator, then the Black Labels have even more. And people that live out west, like my parents in Las Vegas, try hard to find cars with light interiors, which is very rare now.
When I bought mine in 2019, I was a little disappointed that the King Ranch came out not long after. I would've totally considered a King Ranch. I have always like those brown leather interiors on Ford trucks and before that I loved Eddie Bauer Explorers!

Maybe they'll make a different Explorer hood, like a Tremor or Raptor one...

Back