• Register Today It's free!

2022 Timberline Hood Struts

jwclevinger

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Timberline
I decided to put some Hood Lifts on my Explorer, but can't figure out how to install them. Everyone I had seen with them as the Strut bar going across and they use the bolts for it. I don't have that, and the holes where the strut bar is installed isn't treaded, so no easy install there.

Anyone done these without the Strut bar, or have any ideas for install that doesn't involve trying to run a nut blindly from underneath? Or any hints to help run the nut up there to hold in place

20231213_084847.jpg

20231213_084849.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out these threads found using the handy 'Search' feature;

Peter

Have you talked to your dealer about it? I don't recall seeing any other posts about missing that part. As far as not being threaded they might be installing using self tapping bolts. If so that would be an easy fix. Maybe someone that has had a bolt out can comment about that.

I installed the Redline struts and they do not utilize the holes you are referring to, they use the bolt I circled in red from your image.

I can also confirm the holes you are referring to that are used for a strut bar are indeed threaded by a self tapping bolt. Found this out when I installed a strut bar on my XLT (which does not come standard with the bar)

Capture.JPG

I installed the Redline struts and they do not utilize the holes you are referring to, they use the bolt I circled in red from your image.

I can also confirm the holes you are referring to that are used for a strut bar are indeed threaded by a self tapping bolt. Found this out when I installed a strut bar on my XLT (which does not come standard with the bar)

View attachment 448287
I thought about trying that bolt, or the other one already there, but wasn't sure if I'd mess more things up by taking it out. I'll give it a try and hopefully it'll work, or get me closer.

Thanks.

Check out these threads found using the handy 'Search' feature;

Peter
I saw those, I liked the redline struts. The ones I got don't connect to the same place those do. My top connector is in the middle of the hood, not the side. Could still be an idea to start a new way to try. Thanks as always for your help!

View attachment 448287

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you intend to add a reply to the quote you posted above?

Peter

Back