214 Code 94 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

214 Code 94 Explorer

mauleace

Reaction score
My 94 Explorer has an intermittant 214 code. The car runs fine, but it is a problem because it is due for a smog inspection and they will fail you for any check engine lite. I have been trying to figure this out for some time. It is a CID ID code and it should be the cam position sensor, the only problem is I am told by the book and others that it does not have a CPS. I have checked and cleaned the connections to the engine module behind the battery and at the distrbutor. For some crazy reason, the code goes out after the engine is up to opearating temperature for awhile. Sometimes it goes out while driving and other times it goes out after shut off an restarted.

Anybody know what else can cause the 214 code?

In the absence of a cam position sensor, it uses a crankshaft position sensor. Same purpose, just looks at the crankshaft instead of the camshaft. Usually on thefront of the engine near the crankshaft puklley.
Also be sure to check all the wiring.

I am in the same boat now. What did you do to fix this problem? Cam shaft position sensor or something else?

To test your crankshaft position sensor (lower) its pretty simple. Get down under the truck from the front. Look up, youll see the fanbelt. Right there is a toothed wheel attached to the crankshaft. Youll also see what looks like a black cylinder and a fat needle. The cylinder with the 2 wire harness on it is your CPS k. Pop off the harness, careful not to fudge it, and ohm it out. It should read between 2-3k ohms. If its not, replace it.

If your check engine light is coming on, then its one of the components that the obd usually records a code for. If you use the code reader, follow the instructions exactly.. as well as clearing the code and taking it for a 10 minute ride.

Did you guys ever do the IAT mod on your engine, like off of ebay? If you cut those wires, solder them back on.

The check engine light covers the MAF, TPS, MAP, and IAT sensors. Also, check and make sure your egr valve is ok. Yank off and shake the pcv valve... no noise? replace. A bad cat will cause a check engine light if its blocking some exhaust.

Experience with my truck tells me that you may just need to check/replace your MAF and/or IAT. Keep in mind I have a 93 engine.

Back