2nd Tranny Filter - Possible Pump Strain? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Tranny Filter - Possible Pump Strain?

Raceit

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 2DR 4WD XL
I'm getting my tranny flushed Friday. Well more like dopping the pan, new filter, flush, and some cleaning up inside...real thorough for 80 bucks. I was going to mount my external in-line transmission filter and when he's doing servicing the tranny and has all the fluid out go ahead and hook that stuff up while he's in there.
He said that it will probably put too much strain on the transmission fluid pump. His reasoning is that it's got some extra hardware to run through...like another filter obviously. I'm thinking to go ahead and have him install this. (I'ts got 206K miles and other then what I've done I don't know what's been done to the tranny.) The transmission has some problems shifting into 2nd if the outside air is somewhat cold or freezing. But once it warms up it's fine. Plus it makes a "loose chain" type of sound if I'm at highway speeds and there is no load on the engine or tranny....ie..coasting down a hill at speed. Anyways I figure the transmission is getting close to the end of it's life and I'd like to prolong it long as possible obviously. But is there anything to this "possible strain" that will cause another problem?
I think I'm going to have him install it anyways, but i'm curious about any thoughts on that.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I Dont think it will cause much strain on the pump. Adding a tranny cooler adds more line and things for fluid to go through and they wont hurt a tranny so I think you will be fine.

It shouldnt hurt the pump any that I know of. If you add a tranny cooler to a car thats more lines and things for fluid to go through and they dont hurt the tranny so I think you will be fine. after your service keep an eye on your tranny cause I have heard some people with higher milage trannys dont have trouble until after they serviced them then they take a crap cause all the dirt and debry gets stirred up. thats just what i have heard though so dont hold me to it :D

sorry i double posted

The line about strain on the pump from an external filter is pure BS. find another mechanic.

He is correct in theory, but is probably pushing it too far. An external strainer will add extra head to the loop, but probably not enough to cause any strain or damage. He is "covering his a$$", which in this day and age, isn't a bad idea. The OEM pump may have been designed to only be able to overcome the OEM head of the loop (every penny counts to the manufacturer), so adding any more static to the loop is taking a chance. BUT, it being a mechanically driven pump shouldn't have any problems with an external strainer.................until you clog that bad boy up.:D Which is a good reason to install one with a differential pressure bypass.

Did that make any sense? I am having my own doubts.:confused:

Make sure you change the filter at 500 mi, then 3,000, and then get on your normal oil change routine. When you first install the filter, it will catch a lot of crap, and load up. A loaded filter is more resistance than an unloaded one.

One member even had his burst - but that was because it hadn't been changed. It just goes to show how strong the pump is.

pressure check before/after

If you want to be sure just have the mechanic check the pressures before you install the inline filter and after. If the pump is having troubles with the new filter it should be noticable with a pressure check.
I would definately change filters frequently after its first installed- the external filters trap more junk than the screens normaly installed in the pan.

I doubt you will have any problems.

Good Luck

That's what I wanted to hear! :) Especially after that long thread that had numerous praises for adding a second transmission filter.

Now that I remember...he did mention putting on a tranny cooler instead of a second filter. But I'm like it's already got a cooler. I need something to filter out all the crap.

Anyways I'll go ahead and let this guy do it. He seems like a good 'ol boy and has done this tranny service a couple years ago to my truck. And since it's been done somewhat recently I think I should be pretty safe from the dreaded, "new tranny fluid problems".

Thanks for the reminder to change it after 500 miles. I'd almost bet money that my transmission will shift better after 500 or so miles as well. At least that's what most others have said.

Thanks again fellas for quick replies!

With all due respect, be careful doing this. I took great pains to make sure everything was correctly installed but my tranny still acted up after the fluid exchange.

215K miles on dino ATF with regular filter and pan drops. Always performed flawlessly.

Decided to FLUSH ATF, use synthetic and install external filter.

3000 miles later my tranny was limping out of the garage in first and either snapped or damaged the OD band. I swapped in new spin-on filters at 300, 1000 and 1500 or so. I now also have a front seal leak.

If I could do it over again I would still add the ext. filter but would stay with dino ATF and just drop the pan and use the dacron/felt filter.

I hope this helps.

I agree with the dino oil. Especially with the mileage on our transmissions. I've heard too many stories about switching to synth and all sorts of leaks develop. I guess those molecules really are smaller. :D

I think I have the right attitude on my tranny. I know they're weak already and mine is on its last leg. So it could go 100 miles after this tranny flush and call it quits. Sure that would suck, but I know it's coming. All I'm trying to do at this point is prolong its measly little life. :)

Thanks Ross

Back