33" mudders on 1997 explorer. easy. No major suspension work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33" mudders on 1997 explorer. easy. No major suspension work

explorer4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hey everyone,
I've been working on my explorer for the past year now and it is finally finished. I've managed to put a good 4.5" lift on the explorer using TT/leafs/shackles. Here is how:

Swapping out stock torsion bar bolts with longer ones allowed me to get enough lift in the front to fit 33" Mud Terrains with little trimming. For the rear suspension I used the Explorer Pro Comp add-a-leaf and a pair of shackles from Autozone. With some Explorer Pro Comp ES3000's the job was complete. Total cost for lifting the truck: $166.00 including shocks.

Not bad... The 33's are on there way and they will run me about 680 dollars with black rock crawler rims from 4WheelParts.

Parts:

-Longer Torsion Bar Bolts are size M12x1.75x100. The ends need to be slightly rounded off with a dremel tool. I found these at a place in Houston called All-Metric Fasteners. They must be fully threaded.

-Shackles are found at Autozone.

-The Explorer Pro Comp Add a leaf can be ordered from www.summitracing.com part number EXP-13120.

I hope this helps any 95-97 Explorer owners. Also.. if you don't want to lift the explorer this way, go to www.explorerprocomp.com They offer a 3" lift kit for 2WD late model explorers for 500 dollars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet....i want to see some pics... also are those bolts grade 5 or better? i hoe so....

Welcome new Texan,

I would like to see some pictures of your Rig. When do you want to test out your New lift.

I would like to second that welcome. Only this time I would like to say Welcome fellow Houstonian. I would also like to see pictures. One question what measures are you taking to prevent cv joint binding?

oh yeah, with that much tt in front your drivelines may bind.... that big of a tt lift is 225% more than the recommended amount...... it may end up costing a lot to fix later down the line

Hopefully I will have some pictures up soon. I will go pick up my 33's as soon as I get the extra cash but I can probably supply pictures of the 4" lift on 31" All Terrains within the next few days.

oops....nevermind

Back