3rd gen lift help please | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen lift help please

i figured i would get the rancho quick strut rellace tue coil with a one from coilspring.com i would like to achieve about 3 to 4 inches but i know i cant get that just from the strut so im looking into a body lift as well. thanks again for your help i appreciate alk your knowledge and input on our 3rd gen explorer.

Check out Ryno 85

3rd gen pic's

anything is possible.

:troops:

Michael----Navy CB Vet

Can Do.

Navy CB Vet--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ranchos suck go with spacers ranchos didn't make it 2 years before broke

ya thats what i heard scott payne i seen a adjustable rancho quick strut and was going to order different coils from coilsprings.com and have them make it an extra 2 or 3 inchs bigger i wanna see if i can get some extra travel distance with that set up and i plan on ordering the uniball btf upper arms as well. what set up are you running on your rig now can i see some pics.

I just installed the front of the 3" / 2" leveling spacers. There's a lot of stress on the uca/ball joints. I'm wondering if I should have gone smaller. And they were a royal pain to install. No way I could have done it without it being on a lift with a really long pry bar. I still have to do the rear, and I may have to go for the $625 upper arms. So much for a cheap lift!

I just installed the front of the 3" / 2" leveling spacers. There's a lot of stress on the uca/ball joints. I'm wondering if I should have gone smaller. And they were a royal pain to install. No way I could have done it without it being on a lift with a really long pry bar. I still have to do the rear, and I may have to go for the $625 upper arms. So much for a cheap lift!
Thanks for the write up on the 3" leveling kit i was curious about this as well and if it would require getting the 625 upper arms. what leveling kit spacer set did you get?

Thanks for the write up on the 3" leveling kit i was curious about this as well and if it would require getting the 625 upper arms. what leveling kit spacer set did you get?

His post says it is the 3" & 2" spacers, to level the truck the 3" would go in front.

I would not go over 2" in front to keep the ball joint stress to a minimum. I think the BTF UCA's should always be used with more than 2" in front.

I got an Ebay special. It was about $100, and it's coming out tomorrow. The UCA is hitting the spring in the right side over bumps. There is no downward travel at all. It's not safe to drive that way.

thats what i thought i guess i will start with the upper controll arms and build from there. i know it wont be anything extreme off roadung hut enough to climb go through some mud.and creek beds

As I've previously stated, the 1.5 inch front/1 inch rear spacers (that's the size of the spacers, they provide roughly .5 inch more lift than the size of the spacers, making it a 2 inch front/1.5 inch rear lift) do not affect the upper control arms in any noticeable way. I have ran them for over 5,000 miles and haven't had any issues with my upper control arms. A decent amount of those miles have been off road. Here's the link. These are a different size than this kit, which is what I believe loooney2ns is referring to. (If I'm not mistaken the actual height of those spacers is 2.5 inch front/1.5 inch rear)

EDIT: Here's a look at my setup.

242dfkj.jpg

That's the kit I bought. Boy do I have buyer's remorse!

I'm two months/3000 miles into having the BTF spacers and arms, and I'm happy overall, especially after getting it aligned. I still need to look at longer swaybar links, but the truck drives really well as-is. The lift exposed the weakness in my old front hubs, so I've since replaced both (one with a Napa unit, one with a genuine Timken). And I concur on NOT running spacers AND QuickLifts together. My rear axle shafts have touched the frame at least a few times (though I tend to drive aggressively).

First and best real info found to date ! Thanks !!

I did a 2” spacer lift last weekend, it was no harder than changing struts, with the exception of having to really push that rear lower control arm down to get the new strut with spacer in. Definitely a two-person job.

Here she is, 3” Body Lift, 2” Spacer lift, 265/75/16 Dirt Commanders on 16X8 -6 rims, for a total of 6-1/2” of lift.

Here’s the truck parked next to a stock Explorer.

Plenty of ground clearance for the trails.

Thanks for the information very helpful

This is mine next to a stock height Explorer. 265/75R16 tires and a set of no name quick struts all around.

20180618_192021.jpg

How does it ride
Like a lifted truck on Mud Terrains LOL. She handles fine, has a bit of that ‘body lift shimmy’ when I hit a good bump at speed. Pretty much no bump steer, holds the road great.

I’m so happy with how it turned out.

I'm looking at the buying the Protune Suspension 2 inch front and 1 inch rear coil spacers. That seems to be an approach that won't cause too much stress on components, and I have a set of 265/75r16 Cooper AT3s on the way, and they are 31.5 inches tall. Will it all work without rubbing? Has anyone used the Protunes?

Back