• Register Today It's free!

4.0 pinging

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
City, State
Roseburg Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer EB
...I've got an 94 ranger super cab , 4x4 . Has the 4.0 as stated , I replaced the plugs and fuel filter last week and it helped a bunch ....but I still have some pinging .....what else can I do to eliminate the pinging ......any ideas would help ...thanks ...Ashley

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try running some seafoam through the brake booster line or pcv line. Should help eliminate some of the carbon buildup, as well as net some better mileage. Just read the directions on the bottle, and you should be set to go. The only thing I have found that works better than seafoam is the BG throttle body cleaning kit. This includes stuff similar to seafoam, its injected the same way, and also has a spray to clean the throttle body. Worked wonderfully on my old truck, went from 15-16 mpg highway back to 20 mpg highway. The kit contains BG44, some may have heard of it, its only available through the parts department at car dealers. Costs about $25. HTH

Dan

..Dan I drive almost a thousand miles a week , I don't think I have any carbon deposits , my fuel mileage is still in the normal range of 18 to 20 miles to the gallon , but I just cringe with the sound of the pinging , it isn't as bad as it was before I changed plugs , the plugs were the factory installed motorcraft , I bought this truck from the original owner , who boasted that the only thing he had ever done to it was change the oil every 3K miles .....I've had it for 7 weeks now and have changed the oil twice ...new plugs , air filter , fuel filter .....by the way , you ever see a set of plugs with 196K miles on them ?....it is a funny site ....about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap ....and a couple of the plugs were trying to rebuild the center electrode ...by extending the ground electrode .....and I got 20 to the gallon then . so with the new parts , I still have a very slight pinging , ....I'll try some old schol tricks , but with a non adjustable timing , I don't know what else to do ....fuel preasure is good ...thanks for your suggestion Dan ....ashley

some people say to clean your MAF air flow sensor its worth a shot ive had pinging for the longest time and have invested aroud 500 to 700 dollars for no fixes and mechanic suggestions but i guess its something im gonna have to live with hope you get it fixed

A few different common causes of pinging on the early 4.0:

1) Carbon buildup has been mentioned.
2) The engine running lean. This has a couple of very common causes:
a) Dirty MAF has been mentioned.
b) leaking lower intake manifold gasket because the bolts come loose. Usually you can just tighten the bolts and the gasket will seal back up. On occasion, the gasket needs to be replaced.
c) any other vacuum leak/air intake leak will cause the engine to run lean and ping.

Start there and see what you get. A very high percentage of people who complain of ping on this engine get it fixed with one of those fixes.

Back