4.0 SOHC Complete Rebuild - mystery part? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Complete Rebuild - mystery part?

Reaction score
City, State
Cordova
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I’m new to the forum and just from reading some old posts, this seems like an awesome treasure chest of information for folks like me who enjoy the older explorers.

I just had an engine shop completely rebuild (but not reassemble) my 1999 Explorer 4.0 SOHC engine and I’m completely stumped on 1 part that I’m starting to believe doesn’t belong to my engine. It looks like a distributor bracket to an 80s domestic vehicle, but hopefully, someone who has rebuilt the same 4.0 SOHC can say if I’m mistaken. I just don't see where it would/could go on my engine and the shop could have accidentally put it in my parts box.

explorer part.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m new to the forum and just from reading some old posts, this seems like an awesome treasure chest of information for folks like me who enjoy the older explorers.

I just had an engine shop completely rebuild (but not reassemble) my 1999 Explorer 4.0 SOHC engine and I’m completely stumped on 1 part that I’m starting to believe doesn’t belong to my engine. It looks like a distributor bracket to an 80s domestic vehicle, but hopefully, someone who has rebuilt the same 4.0 SOHC can say if I’m mistaken. I just don't see where it would/could go on my engine and the shop could have accidentally put it in my parts box.

View attachment 156691

If it goes to your engine, ask @2000StreetRod. He'll know I'm sure.

I think I found it. It's a bracket for jack shaft that goes on the front?

explorer part.jpeg

Looks like that's where it fits.

Yes that is where it goes but you have it flipped around. The first pic faces out when installed.

Yeah, I thought it looked like some sort of thrust plate, but I had no idea where it went.

Back