4.0 SOHC coolant loss after overheating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC coolant loss after overheating

slisman

Reaction score
City, State
Gdańsk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer II
Hello!

This winter is first with real and massive snowfall since 5 years...so that road weather conditions are slightly different than during previous winters. It means that plenty of cars felt out of the road....And all 4x4 enthusiasts (including me :D ) like to help getting out of troubles.

And today I was pulling Ranger Rover (with success) but after that coolant temp increased to 105 Celcius degrees with white smoke (coolant smell). I turned off the enigne, waited long time and tried to drive back home (after coolant checking etc.) First kilometers were good (87-92 degrees) but the suddenly engine started to overheating (over 100 degrees and smoke/smell again). Again I stopped, turned off engine and saw that coolant got away on passengers side "like down from the manifold" with noise of hissing.

After that Ieft Ford on parking spot and will take it home tomorrow.

But I am searching on forum what could be the cause of trouble and:
1) Freeze plug (the most likely option?)
2) Coolant hose
3) Head gasket (but then leak would not be so massive I think)

Thermostat housing is brand new :)

I'd be very grateful for all advices how to start with diagnosing....youtube video enclosed when I opened a mask.
Idling without any problems, working smoothly but qucikly temperature increases.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The leak could be coming from any number of places and as you are driving, it leaks onto your hot manifold/exhaust pipe causing white smoke. That being said you need to find the highest point you see any coolant on your engine. Liquid will travel all over the place before dripping off onto a hot pipe. You can pressurize your radiator (15-20 psi) to force coolant out any leaks around blown gaskets, hoses, loose connections, etc.

15psi ask how I know

Thanks for suggestions!
I've managed to take Ford back to garage. It is not leaking so much when I don't reach coolant work temperature. So maybe it can be connected with heaterControlValve?

-Thermostat housing neigbourhood is dry
-The wettest part of engine is passenger's side near the firewall from the top of manifold.

But it is very likely that hose caused this issue. Freeze plug visible from right front wheel is in good condition.

Hey Donalds... How do you know? Just wondering...

Mine went pop at 20 psi lol

Back