4.0 sohc explorer to same ranger swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 sohc explorer to same ranger swap?

badlandsghost

Reaction score
City, State
the hind-quarters of east tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
Hey folks, been forever, but I have to pose a question,
I'm in the process of trying to sell our 99 exp sport (4.0 sohc) after an unfortunate hydroplane incident (damn phone poles:(...) and I have a prospective buyer, but we've run into a question, and I'm trying to do due diligence here...
He has a 99 ranger 4.0 sohc in need of a new motor, but the whole top end looks completely different, (ive only seen pics), and I dont know enough about these engines to say one way or the other about swapping them. Ive done a bunch of searches, and gathered a bit of info, but figured I'd ask here to get the big pic.
Any help is appreciated, (and I dont know if the ranger is 4wd, so please assume nothing thats not stated)

thanks in advance,
J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The SOHC didn't come in the ranger till 2001. If his is a 99, its an OHV engine which is totally different.

The SOHC didn't come in the ranger till 2001. If his is a 99, its an OHV engine which is totally different.

Huh, maybe thats the case, I havent seen it personally, but I'll be getting back w him this weekend, hopefully we can get things clarified then.

Thanks for the info folks,
J

so heres the pic I got of the rangers motor, what say you folks? and if its not the sohc, how difficult would it be to do the swap over?

thanks in advance,
J

errrrr.....ok, feeling really dumb, cant find the upload pic option....Little help?

Use photo bucket to upload pics but if it says EFI on top the ranger motor it's a near impossible swap.

thanks, mate, lets see if this one works...thankfully no efi logos....
IMG_20160506_1611051_zpsv9ynju4a.jpg
"]

I cant tell but if your trying to get rid of a SOHC just put it on Craigs List, or Kijiji in Canada. You will get rid of it in a heart beat. That engine is such a pile of crap everyone is looking for a drop in so they can dump their time bombs after the timing chains self detonate.

so whats the verdict folks? I dont know this era/breeds motors enough to say, is it the single cam in disguise or something else? if not, what are the swap options?
TBT: just to clarify, do you mean that the sohc is that bad, or the pic'd motor is? our exploder did pretty well for like 5-6 yrs and at the time of my "oops":( was at 200k.

Thanks all,
J

And an unrelated note, OMFG is there a way to kill that annoying "creeper" ad that keeps crawling up from the bottom of the browser? I never thought I'd see something more annoying than pop ups, lol:shoot: (recognizing its all gotta be paid for, but damn, thats irritating)

thanks, mate, lets see if this one works...thankfully no efi logos....
IMG_20160506_1611051_zpsv9ynju4a.jpg
"]

That's the 4.0 OHV motor, not a SOHC. It's a smaller Snow shield so there is no writing on it.

The SOHC oil fill is on the driver side the the thermostat housing is on top of the motor not on the front.

As for the SOHC motor.. the early ones have timing chain/guide issues.. The much later ones (like in the s197 mustang, e.g. 2005-2009) are much better...

~Mark

ok, thanks for the info folks

J

Back