• Register Today It's free!

4.0 swap A.C. question

Dave01234

Reaction score
City, State
Irwin (Near Pittsburgh) PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 X, 89 Bronco II
Hi all, I have an 89 Bronco II that I'm doing the 4.0 engine, axles, and I'm also swapping the dash. The donor is a 94 explorer sport. My question is can I use the Bronco's A.C. condenser as the one from the donor was junk and it got trashed after I stripped the donor. Any help would be appreciated.

im sure you prob could, my bII didnt' have ac so im not worrying about it, prob gonna turn the ac into an air compressor

To the best that I can tell just by looking at mine, the condenser is exactly the same unit between my '90 BII (2.9L) and my '94 Ranger (4.0L). The Ex I know uses the same compressor as a same-year Ranger, so you'd probably be fine.

If you have both condenser coils on hand to look at, see if they have the same # & routing of coils, and the same fittings. If so, they're likely the same units.
If you have to buy one though, I don't think they're incredibly expensive ($100 or so IIRC).

Thanks 4x4junkie. The condenser from the donor was junk and at the time I didn't think to compare them I just scraped it with the rest of the truck after I got what I needed. Thanks for doing that comparison for me. I think I scraped the line from the condenser I know I kept the compressor and the line from it. I'm not very good with AC

Back