• Register Today It's free!

4 Wheel Drive Grinding Issues

underdog1799

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have a 97 Explorer that has little problem. Last fall I went off roading and ended up scraping the bottom of my car on a rock. I didn't notice any problems until about mid winter when I was driving around in the snow and the automatic 4 wheel drive would kick in when the back tires slipped. The front left side seems to grind when the front wheels are engaged. I'm not sure if it is the front transfer case, or if it is something else. Anybody have any tips for what I could check? Could it be something less expensive to fix?

I have a 97 Explorer that has little problem. Last fall I went off roading and ended up scraping the bottom of my car on a rock. I didn't notice any problems until about mid winter when I was driving around in the snow and the automatic 4 wheel drive would kick in when the back tires slipped. The front left side seems to grind when the front wheels are engaged. I'm not sure if it is the front transfer case, or if it is something else. Anybody have any tips for what I could check? Could it be something less expensive to fix?
Well, you only have one transfercase. So without hearing the noise, I would guess the c/v joint on the left side, or the wheel bearing. However the wheel bearing should make noise all the time.

thanks for the reply yavapaires.
i guess its not the transfer case, it would be the front differential for the 4 wheel drive power in the front wheels. It only makes the noise when the 4 wheel drive engages. Could it be as simple as a c/v joint or wheel bearing?

Back